Skip to Content
Indiana University

Search Options

View Options

History of Jay County, Indiana. Montgomery, M. W. 
no next


The attack of the rebels upon Fort Sumter—inaugurating the most gigantic contest the world has ever seen—and President Lincoln's proclamation of April 14th, 1861, calling for seventy-five thousand volunteers to put down the rebellion, was received by the people of Jay County with one mind. Traitors had appealed from the peaceful court of the ballot-box, to the bloody arbitrament of the sword and bullet, and were ruthlessly waging war upon the nation. The people saw no way to preserve the honor and institututions of the country but to crush the rebellion by force of arms. The contest soon assumed proportions so vast as to astonish the world. Yet page: 221[View Page 221] they did not swerve from their loyalty, and gave to the authorities a hearty support. This unanimity of sentiment was illustrated at the fall election in 1861. Political parties hushed their bickerings on former disputed questions, and patriotically divided candidates and all voted one ticket. Since the first year of the war this bright example has not been followed. Parties, and their accompanying strifes, mar the unity of the people in support of the holy struggle which has called forth to the battle-field nearly one thousand of her patriotic sons.

Being distant from railroads and daily papers, the people of the county did not so early awaken to the realities of the war as those centres which more quickly felt the heart-throbbings of the wounded and bleeding country. For this reason no full company was raised for the three months' service; but many went and entered companies forming in other counties.

The first citizen of Jay County to volunteer was CHARLES E. BENNETT. He was a young man, and student at Liber College. When he read the call for troops he told President Tucker that he was going. He went to Winchester, joined a company there, but was rejected. But, determined to serve his country, he went to Indianapolis, joined company C, 8th Indiana regiment, and by hiding his glasses for his near-sightedness, page: 222[View Page 222] was accepted. He served his time out, and was discharged. In 1862, when the rallying cry was,
  • "We are coming, Father Abraham,
  • Six hundred thousand more,"
he again enlisted in company F, 75th regiment Indiana volunteers, and this time gave his life for his country. He died of disease while the company was at Castillian Springs, Tennessee, about the 1st of December, 1862. He was a kind-hearted, honest young man, and had been raised a Quaker.

The first effort made to raise a whole company in Jay County, for the war was in July, 1861. Quite a number from different parts of the county had already gone—hastening, at the first clash of arms, to the scene of conflict. Meetings were held at several places in the county, at which Judge J. M. Haynes, J. N. Templer and others addressed the people. But at first volunteers were slowly obtained, because the people had not yet become warriors, and, beside, it was then considered by many as preposterous to think of raising a whole company in the county. But after the first thirty men were obtained no more difficulty was experienced.

Those most actively engaged in enlisting the company were Messrs. C. H. Clark, S. L. Wilson and Nimrod Headington. On the 6th of August they were ordered to report at Indianapolis at page: 223[View Page 223] once. Messengers were dispatched to all parts of the county to notify the members of the company. It was a very busy season; but the members of this company held their country's call paramount to every other interest. The unmeasured calico was left upon the counter; the plow remained in the furrow, and the scythe was left to rust in the unmown meadow. The blessed implements of peaceful industry were thrown aside for the musket and sword. All hearts were more than ever turned toward the war, and especially the brave boys who were hurrying into the conflict. On the morning of August 9th a great crowd of citizens assembled in Portland to bid farewell to the first company Jay County sent to the war for the Union. It was a trying hour to the unwarlike people of Jay. They had been reared to love the arts of Peace; but they loved their country more, and now began to lay their sons by hundreds upon her altar.

The parting scenes were thus sketched at the time by The Jay Torch-Light, more vividly than they can be at this distant date:
"Early on Friday morning the 'reveille' summoned the soldiers together at Camp Ross, and a march around town was the order. This the boys performed with the greatest enthusiasm. They marched in front of each house where any of them had been boarding, and gave them hearty cheers. By this time the people from all parts of the county began to assemble, to witness the departure of the volunteers and bid them farewell. page: 224[View Page 224]
"The town was soon crowded. Everything and everybody was in motion; and as the afternoon approached, many countenances were serious and sorrowful. But the volunteers seemed in the highest spirits and full of enthusiasm at the prospect of an early chance to fight for their country and slay rebels. The farmers of the county had tendered their services with their teams, to take the boys to Winchester, so freely that more teams were on the ground than could be used. About one o'clock, P. M., the soldiers were drawn up in line, the wagons and carriages brought out, and preparations were being made to start. This was the last opportunity to say 'Farewell' to the brave fellows who were now going to the war, perhaps never to return; and it was well improved. It is useless for us to attempt a description of the scenes and incidents of that parting. The streets were filled with men and women crowding around the volunteers, shaking hands, speaking words of encouragement, giving the parting charge, and bidding farewell.
"It was an affecting scene. Few indeed were the eyes not wet with tears at that hour. The volunteers met the occasion like soldiers: they wept, as good soldiers always can, but they swerved not a moment in their purpose to go forth and fight for the maintenance of our glorious Government."

Amid loud cheers and the waving of hats and handkerchiefs, the long train of wagons and carriages started, carrying two hundred persons, over one hundred of whom were a citizens' escort. At Winchester the citizens gladly entertained the soldiers, and the next day they reached Indianapolis; were sent to Camp Morton, and on the 11th were sworn into the United States service for three years. Here they remained nearly one month, when they were assigned to the 39th page: 225[View Page 225] regiment Indiana volunteers, company C, and were then transferred to Camp Harrison, named in honor of their gallant Colonel, Thos. J. Harrison, who has been with them in all their meanderings upon the theatre of war. Here and at Camp Morton they were visited by many of the citizens of Jay. They were constantly drilled until Septemper 21st, when they marched Dixieward, arriving at Louisville the next morning. Here they were cordially welcomed by a sumptuous dinner, and addressed by a member of the Kentucky Legislature, who complimented them as being the first regiment from Indiana to cross the Ohio River in response to Kentucky's call for help against traitors, many of whom were those of her own bosom. On platform cars they were at once taken to Muldraugh's Hill, nearly fifty miles south of Louisville, which was then considered "the front." At Rolling Fork, on Salt River, they pitched tents, put out guards and pickets, passed their first night in the south. The next morning, gleeful at having marching orders, they were early equipped and on the march. They soon reached a stream, which they were ordered to wade, after taking off their "pants." This was fine sport, several things occurring which created great merriment.

That was the first hard march experienced by company C. Only those who have performed page: 226[View Page 226] similar marches can fully appreciate the hardships of the soldiers during the remainder of the march that day. The sun beamed down its most scorching rays, the dust was several inches deep, and the least stir in the air whirled it in suffocating clouds around them. They were heavily burdened with knapsacks, haversacks and accoutrements; but by constant rallying they reached their destination about sunset. They were filed off into an open field, where they were complacently enjoying their rest, when a strange sound started them to their feet with an inquiry of alarm upon their countenances. It was the "long roll," beat upon a false alarm. Their ears have long since become familiar with that sound, yet it never fails to start their blood and bodies in quicker motion. Upon outspread blankets they passed the night in such a sleep as only wearied soldiers know how to appreciate.

On the 10th of October they "struck tents" and marched to Camp Nevin, twelve miles farther South. The force collected at this camp was the nucleus of what afterward became the grand "Army of the Cumberland." It was near this camp that the first blood of the Rebellion which fell upon Kentucky soil, was shed. Forty picked scouts (Jefferson Sewell and W. H. Blowers, from company C,) were sent out under Lieutenant Colonel Jones against a marauding body of two page: 227[View Page 227] hundred rebels, near Bacon Creek. Taking a position in a log house—the residence of the widow of the notorious villain, John A. Murrell—this squad, without receiving any injury, repulsed the rebels, wounding several. Sewell, by a timely stepping out of the cabin door, was saved from a rebel bullet.

It was here, also, that company C was first called upon to lay some of its members in a soldier's grave. In a quiet, country grave-yard, on the banks of Nolin River, this sorrowing company consigned to the tomb the remains of Sergeant ROBERT G. JACKSON, who died, December 6th, 1861, of typhoid fever. He was sick for a long time in a church near the camp, used for a hospital, where the best care possible under the circumstances was bestowed upon him. He was a brave soldier, a true and generous friend, and well beloved by his fellow soldiers and friends at home.

On the tenth of the same month another brave young man from that company—John McCroskey—was consigned to a resting place beside his comrade Jackson.

On the tenth of December the army marched to Munfordsville or Green River, Camp Wood.

Here the army remained until February 15th, 1862, when, a sufficient force having collected, it moved against Bowling Green, occupied by General Buckner. A flank movement by General page: 228[View Page 228] Mitchell compelled the enemy to fall back to Nashville, and our forces moved forward to that point. The capture of Fort Donelson by our forces, led to the evacuation of Nashville by the rebels, and our army took quiet possession. While encamped south of that city, the 39th regiment picketed that part of the country lying between Nolensville and the Franklin pike, and, on the 15th of March, company C had the honor of welcoming within the Federal lines that bold and sterling Tennessee patriot, W. G. BROWNLOW. Upon alighting from his vehicle, he waved his hat, raised his eyes towards heaven and shouted "Glory to God! once more inside the Union pickets!"

On arriving at Nashville, some were entirely bare-footed, having traveled in that condition many weary miles over the rough stone pike, their feet blistered and bleeding. But their hardships were borne with heroic fortitude, and that wise philosophy which quietly submits to ills that cannot be remedied. They consoled themselves with allusions to the privations of the Revolutionary fathers, and seemed proud to be called upon to emulate their courage and fortitude. But supplies soon arrived.

On the 16th of March, 1862, the army at Nashville, (General Buell's,) set out on the march for the south-west. On Saturday, April 5th, Major page: 229[View Page 229] General McCook's Division, in which was the 39th regiment, encamped twenty-seven miles from Savannah, Tennessee, to prepare rations. Beeves were slaughtered, and the soldiers were congratulating themselves on the prospect of fresh beef and a day's rest, but the morning's sun brought to their ears the booming of cannon, and the word that General Grant's army had been attacked and a terrible battle was in progress. A forced march was now ordered to reinforce Grant. Taking three day's rations, the soldiers threw away blankets and knapsacks, and moved forward rapidly. As they drew nearer, the cannonading grew more distinct and furious. At midnight, worn out and exhausted, they reached Savannah, seven miles from Pittsburg Landing—the scene of the terrific contest. No boats being ready, the soldiers threw themselves down in the streets. A pelting hail-storm made sleep impossible.

In the morning the roaring of cannon told them that the contest on the battle-field was renewed, even more fiercely than on the day previous. A boat transferred their brigade, consisting of the 32d and 39th Indiana, and 15th and 49th Ohio to the scene of conflict, arriving about 11 o'clock a.m. The fighting was then nearly two miles from the landing.

Standing upon the boat's deck they listened to the noise of the battle, which was one continual page: 230[View Page 230] roar of cannon and rattle of musketry. They saw behind the hill a large force of cowardly stragglers, who had fled, unharmed, from the front, and hundreds of the wounded and dying borne back from the field. They marched immediately to the battle-ground, where they were ordered to lie down as reserves, which they did for half an hour, while the shock of the raging battle seemed to shake the very earth upon which they lay. They then marched to the front and opened their part of the fight amid one incessant peal of musketry. Company C fought bravely for two hours and a half, when the sight of the retreating enemy brought enthusiastic cheers from our army.

The Jay Torch-Light of April 24th, speaking of this company said:
"By letter from Lieutenant Clark, we learn the part borne by the Jay County boys in the great battle of Shiloh. They were in the thickest of the fight for two and one-half hours, and, during that time, the rebels commenced their retreat. They fought bravely and well, though it was the first battle they had ever engaged in. It was a trying time to their nerve and courage. For nearly two days the battle had raged most furiously, and, more than half that time the rebels had driven our men. The boys heard the cannonading from the opening roar and had seen hundreds of the wounded and dying borne from the field. In these circumstances they were called into the field and placed in the centre. It was like marching into the jaws of death. But they went forward boldly and fought well. All honor to them. Jay County is proud of her soldiers."
page: 231[View Page 231]

Captain Wilson being at home on the recruiting service, the company was commanded by Lieutenants J. G. Cowell and C. H. Clark. The casualties in company C were as follows: Stephen J. Bailey, mortally wounded in the thigh, James Q. Odle, mortally wounded in, the arm, Edwin Hoover, wounded in left arm, Penbroke S. Bodle, slightly in the neck, J. N. Stratton, slightly in the neck.

When Bailey was being carried from the field, he said to Lieutenant Clark, "Tell my mother I died like a man, fighting for my country." At that moment the cheers of our troops were heard, and he inquired what it meant. Upon being told that the rebels were running, he said, "Then I die in peace." He was carried from the field, placed upon a boat, and taken to Mound City Hospital, Illinois, where he died, April 17th, 1863. He was a very intelligent young man, interesting in conversation, quiet and industrious. He was the son of Mrs. Mary Bailey, of Camden, and was raised a Quaker. He was the first soldier from Jay County to yield up his life to rebel bullets, and was worthy of this honorable niche in the history of the War.

James Q. Odle died at the residence of his brother, at Windsor, Randolph County, Indiana, June 18th, 1862. His remains were interred at Deerfield, Indiana.

page: 232[View Page 232]

Many soldiers contracted diseases from exposure by encamping on the field after the heat and excitement of that battle. Among them was Mr. James Hathaway, who died May 16th, 1862, at Jefferson Barracks, Missouri. He was forty-eight years of age when he volunteered in his country's service, leaving a large family. He was a Christian, in every sense of the term. While he served God faithfully, he was true to his country. He was the patriarch and moral monitor of the company. Vice, in many of its members, he would reprove in a manner that always elicited from the reproved warm love and respect, and they all sincerely mourned his death. From his position as musician, he was not required to go into battle, but, laying aside the fife at Pittsburg Landing, he went with the comany into the battle, unarmed, but seizing the first deserted musket, bravely fought until the battle was over. His memory will be cherished as one of Jay County's noblest soldiers.

The army encamped on the battle-field for several days, then marched against Corinth. At Bridge Creek, company C participated in a severe fight, but received no injury.

They remained near Corinth until about the middle of June, when they marched southward to Huntsville, Alabama, arriving there July 4th. Here the 39th were ordered to Bridgeport, page: 233[View Page 233] Alabama, to guard the crossing of the Tennessee River, which they did until August 20th, when they joined the forces collecting at Battle Creek for an advance upon Chattanooga. But, when within a few miles of the place, an order, surprising every soldier, was given for them to return. Then commenced the famous "Buell's retreat," or race with General Bragg, across Tennessee and Kentucky, which though honorable to the soldiers, was very disgraceful to their commander.

In this fatiguing march the soldiers were most of the time destitute of rations, and had to exist upon fruit, green corn and meat supplied by foraging parties. As the corn became hard they parted their canteens and, punching them full of holes, made graters, from which, with commendable perseverance, they manufactured sufficient corn meal to keep off actual want, yet many nights they had to lie down, not only tired, but very hungry.

The appearance of the army on reaching Louisville clearly indicated the hard marching and privations to which it had been subjected. Tarrying long enough to replenish their exhausted wardrobe, on the 1st day of October, 1862, they again started on the long, forward march to redeem the territory which incompetency, or half-hearted loyalty had given to the rebellion.

page: 234[View Page 234]

The marching was as severe in this advance as it had been in the retreat. The weather was very hot, the earth parched, and water scarce. The men often marched until midnight, and would then have to walk one or two miles for water. Swine were driven from the wallow and the water used to make coffee and quench thirst, and, on one occasion, even drinking water from a hole in which lay dead horses, mules and dogs! and, at other times, pushing back a green scum, an inch in thickness, to fill their canteens. Amid these trying circumstances, an indomitable spirit of patriotism prevailed and few complaints were uttered.

At Nashville, General Rosecrans succeeded to the command, in the place of Buell, removed, who was hailed with enthusiastic delight by the Army of the Cumberland.

General Bragg had halted in his precipitate retreat, and fortified Murfreesboro, and the 39th being encamped some distance in front of Nashville, were much of the time skirmishing with scouting parties of the enemy.

On the 25th of December General Rosecrans ordered an attack upon the rebels, which was the preliminary of the great battle of Stone River. On the night of the 29th, the army encamped upon the open field before the enemy. On the 30th an engagement with part of the line took place, and General McCook's Division, in which was the page: 235[View Page 235] 39th, was moved up as a reserve, and, in the evening, was placed upon the right, on picket.

Just at daylight, next morning, the enemy, several lines deep, attacked the 39th, driving them back in confusion, killing and capturing many. The loss of company C was as follows: John Hilton, mortally wounded, Eugene Plumb, mortally wounded, Cyrus Stanley, severely wounded, Gr. H. Bassett, severely wounded in groin, John McClelland, wounded in neck, and forty prisoners, as indicated in the list of members.

On New Year's, 1864, these prisoners were put on board the cars at Murfreesboro and started toward Richmond, where they arrived in two weeks, having suffered severely on the route, for want of food. They were first confined in a tobacco warehouse, and afterward in Libby Prison. Their stomachs rebelled against the meagre, unsavory prison rations. A small loaf of bread, some soup and bad beef, was, at first, an allowance for each man, daily, but, before they left, this supply was divided between six men.

On the 28th of January, 1863, the unwounded privates of company C, with many others, marched through the city to the canal. While crossing this the bridge gave way and precipitated them twenty feet, into water fifteen feet deep. The canal was walled with stone, and the men could not get out without assistance, but the guard page: 236[View Page 236] and citizens viewed the spectacle with folded arms. By the aid of comrades in the rear they escaped. In this half drowned condition they were placed upon filthy stock cars and sent to City Point, Virginia, and thence to Annapolis. Their joy at being once more under the "Stars and Stripes" found vent in hearty cheers. Their warm welcome home made them forget for a season their recent hardships.

During the battle, Cyrus Stanley was struck near the back-bone, by a musket ball, which entered his right kidney. While Daniel Walter was helping him off the field, Stanley's hat was shot off, and two balls passed through Walter's clothes. But they were both captured. With his wound undressed and bleeding, on platform cars, without covering, Stanley was taken to Chattanooga, having been three days and nights without one morsel of food! Six rebel surgeons examined his wound and pronounced it fatal. But his quiet spirit and courageous determination saved him from a southern grave.

On the 5th of March, 1863, he and thirteen others were taken to Knoxville, and thence (March 8th) to Libby Prison—that dungeon whose mention brings to mind all that is horrible and revolting in human suffering. All this time Stanley had not recovered sufficiently to walk, even upon crutches. He was confined in a room with page: 237[View Page 237] nearly three hundred others. Their scanty daily allowance was of the most repulsive kind, and some died in the room of actual starvation. On the 18th of March he was taken to Washington City, where he wrote to his friends in Jay. The letter was like a voice from the dead, for they had supposed his wound had long since proved fatal. He was taken to Davis' Island, New York, on the 5th of May, and in one month was able to start home. He is now County Recorder. Capt. J. G. Crowell and Lieut. G. T. Winters were not exchanged for some time after this. A mere fragment of the company could be rallied on the battle-field on that New Year's day. Early in May, the paroled members of company C having been exchanged, rejoined the regiment at Nashville, where they found their comrades had been mounted and armed with the Spencer rifle. They have since been designated as the 8th Indiana Mounted Infantry. At Tullahoma the regiment had the post of danger, and distinguished itself whenever engaged. At Dechard Ford, two miles south of Winchester, company C made a gallant charge and was highly complimented. Lieut. Winters was wounded in the foot, Luther J. Baker in the leg, L. W. Lemasters severely in the breast, and eleven horses killed. In the sanguinary struggle at Chickamauga, the 39th took an honorable part and came out unscathed. Soon page: 238[View Page 238] after this, many of these veterans re-enlisted, receiving three hundred and four dollars additional bounty. On the 20th of February, 1864, the regiment distinguished itself by a noted reconnoissance at Tunnell Hill, Buzzard Roost and Dalton, and remained in the immediate front until March 25th, when the whole regiment was furloughed and came home. The war-worn veterans were warmly welcomed by the citizens of Indianapolis, and hastened home to enjoy the company of friends and relatives, from whom they had so long been absent. In a few days company B, 34th Indiana regiment, came home, also on veteran furlough, and the two companies were publicly welcomed by large parties and fine suppers at Portland, Camden and College Corner. At the expiration of their furlough, the regiment re-assembled at Indianapolis, and, May 11th, left for Nashville to renew their conflicts with traitors. Early in July they were ordered to Marietta, where they have lately distinguished themselves in a daring and effectual raid. This regiment has participated in the following battles :
  • page: 239[View Page 239]

In all of these company C have borne an honorable part, reflecting credit upon themselves and the county they represent, and with heroic deeds inscribing an imperishable record upon the annals of their country.

[Those marked * re-enlisted, and those marked † are discharged. The ‡ denotes those captured at Stone River.]

  • Captain Stephen L. Wilson, resigned July 18th, 1862.
  • First Lieutenant John Q. Lewis, resigned March 10th, 1862.
  • Second Lieutenant Curtis H. Clark, promoted first lieutenant. Resigned October 16th, 1863.
    [Promotions among non-commissioned officers and privates were not reported to the author.]

    • Orderly, J. G. Crowell, promoted 1st lieutenant, then captain.‡
    • R. G. Jackson, died December 6th, 1861.
    • J. G. Wagner, died June 10th, 1862.
    • I. N. Stratton, promoted second lieutenant.
    • Andrew Jackson,* promoted to orderly.

    • John McClellan,
    • Thomas Bosworth,
    • J. M. Bromagem,*‡
    • Calvin Burdg,*
    • page: 240[View Page 240]
    • Solomon Lupton,*‡
    • G. T. Winters, promoted to first lieutenant,‡
    • Calvin Rynearson,†
    • George Clark,* promoted to orderly sergeant.‡

    • John Hanna, died December 15th, 1862.
    • James Hathaway, died May 16th, 1862.

    • Francis Twiggs.

    • Calvin S. Adams,
    • Edwin Adams,†
    • W. G. Adams,†
    • H. H. Antles,†
    • George R. Ashley,
    • S. J. Bailey, died at Mound City, Ill., April 1st, 1862.
    • William Baird,‡
    • L. J. Baker,*‡
    • G. H. Bassett,* wounded at Stone River,
    • Joseph Bisel, died September 14th, 1862,
    • W. H. Blowers,* (Adams Co.)
    • J. L. Bockoven,*‡
    • P. S. Bodle,* wounded at Shiloh,‡
    • Anthony Brown,*‡
    • Jason Bryan,*
    • Aaron Brighton,†
    • John Burdg,*
    • William Clawson,*‡
    • Michael Cookerly,†
    • H. D.Clevenger, died June 12th, 1862,
    • Christian Long,‡
    • L. A. Long,‡
    • A. A. Mason,*
    • J. S. Maxwell,*‡
    • John McCroskey, died Dec. 10th, 1861.
    • William Metty,*
    • J. W. Miller,
    • Isaiah Mills,‡
    • W. H. Moore,‡
    • John Nidey,
    • Lafayette Nidey,*
    • John Nixon,‡
    • A. J. Nuckles,
    • J. Q. Odle, mortally wounded at Shiloh, died June 18th, 1862,
    • Reuben Orner,†
    • Christian Parks,*
    • Edward Pingry,*
    • W. J. Ralph,*
    • F. M. Reed,
    • Hezekiah Reed,‡
    • Frederick Rhodes,*
    • William Richmond,‡
    • page: 241[View Page 241]
    • M. L. Collett,*‡
    • G. W. Cookerly,
    • J. A. Cummins,‡
    • J. H. Darby, died June 14th, 1862,
    • J. A. Eicher,*
    • E. R. Fetters,
    • B. F. Freeman,*‡
    • William Green,*
    • Samuel Hammitt,*‡
    • G. W. Hardy,*‡
    • John Hilton, wounded mortally at Stone River, and died Jan. 25th, 1863,
    • Samuel Hilton,*‡
    • J. W. Hoke,*
    • Edward Hoover,
    • G. H. Jackson,*
    • B. B. Jenkins,
    • L. W. Lemasters,†
    • A. G. Lewis,*
    • Sylvester Lewis,‡
    • Jefferson Sewell,* (Adams Co.)
    • S. W. Shannon,*‡
    • J. A. Shewalter,*‡
    • J. W. Shewalter,‡
    • D. T. Skinner, promoted to captain 7th Ind. Cavalry,
    • Samuel Sloan,‡
    • Cyrus Stanley,†‡
    • William Sturges,†
    • William Stranahan,†
    • J. W. Swallow, died January 5th, 1862,
    • D. T. Taylor,*
    • J. N. Vance, died Jan. 13,1862.
    • W. C. Votaw,*
    • Daniel Walter,*‡
    • M. W. Wagner,*
    • D. O. Whipple,†
    • J. B. Worden,
    • C. E. Yost,
    • Franklin Stanley,*‡

    • D. S. Arnold,
    • C. Ashley,
    • W. Broughman,
    • W. S. Baldwin,
    • A. Bodle,
    • H. Barber,
    • A. Clear,
    • James Collins,
    • A. Cook,
    • W. R. Dutcher, died April 3d, 1863,
    • A. Fetters, died Aug. 3, 1863,
    • Henry Jones,
    • William Jones,
    • Solomon Keck,
    • J. McLaughlin,
    • I. Murray,
    • J. B. Marquis,
    • G. W. Miller,
    • Thomas Paxson,
    • Peter Stultz,
    • Dixon Towle,
    • H. Trehearn,
    • B. Valentine,
    • page: 242[View Page 242]
    • D. Fetters,
    • W. H. Force,
    • I. Garringer,
    • S. Hoke,
    • E. Wilkerson,
    • Ellis Wilder, died May 12, 1864.
    • William Wilkerson,
    • Nathan B. Winters.
The following were nine-months' drafted or substitute recruits, who joined this company-all now discharged except one. They were drafted October 6th, 1862:
  • James Bales,
  • W. Bridgford,‡
  • J. W. Bartmes,‡ volunteered,
  • James Cunningham,‡
  • William Ernest,‡
  • Benjamin Heston,
  • P. C. Jones,‡
  • A. J. Landis,
  • Levi Mason,‡
  • James Pitt,
  • James Patterson,
  • Eugene Plumb, wounded mortally at Stone River, died Jan. 19th, 1863,
  • G. W. Swhier,
  • D. Theurer.

    • Volunteers 130
    • Drafted Recruits 14
    • Died 17
    • Resigned and Discharged 27

The history of company C has been given at length for several reasons. It was the first company to go from the county, and has been longest in the service. Many things, also, connected with its history can be related of all other Jay County companies; but having been given, need not be repeated.

During the latter part of August, 1861, James W. Campbell and Nimrod Headington recruited a company for the three years service. An page: 243[View Page 243] election resulted in the choice of Mr. Campbell as Captain; Mr. Headington, First Lieutenant, and Benjamin G. Shinn, Second Lieutenant. On the 1st of September the ladies of Portland gave a farewell supper to the company, and on the following morning they departed for camp at Anderson, Indiana, where they became company B in the 34th regiment. They were mustered into the United States service September 21st. Asberry Steele, of Grant County, was their first Colonel.


  • Captain, James W. Campbell.
  • " Nimrod Headington—first lieutenant and captain, now major.
  • First Lieutenant, David A. Harter.
  • Second Lieutenant, Benjamin G. Shinn—resigned Nov., 1861.
  • " " David D. Hastie—promoted Nov., 1861; resigned Dec. 25th, 1862.
  • " " Abraham M. Templer—promoted captain.
  • " " Thomas Helm.

    • John Bromagem,
    • William Cruthers,
    • Benjamin F. Harter.

    • Stephen Straley, wounded at Champion Hill,
    • George W. Stowell,
    • Enoch H. Harker,
    • John Hammitt,
    • Joseph P. Bishop,
    • Warner Cox, died at Memphis, Tenn., August 6, 1862.
    • James P. Gibson,
    • Anthony W. Shey,
    • James A. Crisler.
  • page: 244[View Page 244]

    • Abner Hyde,
    • George O. Carle.

    • Samuel Adair,
    • Perry L. Burk,
    • Hamilton Cash,
    • David Crisler, wounded at Champion Hill,
    • George W. Denney, wounded at Champion Hill,
    • Henry W. Duckett,
    • Jonathan Elliott,
    • Benjamin Foush,
    • Joseph J. Glover,
    • Edward B. Hawley,
    • John Hawley,
    • William M. Hutzler,
    • Wesley S. Iliff,
    • Mark Kinnison,
    • Aaron Letts,
    • John W. Lethe,
    • Charles O. Lindsay,
    • William K. Louk, wounded at Champion Hill,
    • James Logan,
    • Christopher Loper,
    • John R. May,
    • John Morily, wounded at Fort Gibson,
    • Simon P. Marrow,
    • Elias K. Maddox,
    • Ozias McKinstry,
    • Ichabod Nichols,
    • Michael T. Paxson,
    • John Parsons,
    • William Pugh,
    • John H. F. Pugh, wounded at Champion Hill,
    • Albert Pugh,
    • John L. Reeves,
    • William S. Reeves,
    • Joshua Siders,
    • Edward Siders,
    • George W. Stoner,
    • William W. Swallow,
    • Isaac I. Swallow,
    • John F. Stowe,
    • John M. Thomas,
    • William Votaw,
    • William Williams,
    • Jefferson J. Williams.
  • DIED.

    • Gabriel F. Barnes—Jan. 24th, 1862.
    • Sergeant Sylvester Hiatt—March 28th, 1862.
    • Corporal John F. Connett—Feb. 9th, 1862.
    • Dallas D. Chapmar—killed at Champion Hill.
    • Matthew Dodds—Feb. 21st, 1862.
    • John J. Swaney—killed at Champion Hill.
    • George L. Adair.
    • page: 245[View Page 245]
    • Bailiff W. Stowell—mortally wounded at Port Gibson; died May 28th, 1863.
    • Finley Blair—Feb. 13th, 186 2.
    • William H. H. Bailey—mortally wounded at Champion Hill.
    • John Cline—Feb. 26th, 1862.
    • Levi Clean—May 6th, 1862.
    • Warner Cox—Aug. 6th, 1862.
    • Oliver P. Karnes.
    • Jeremiah Franklin.
    • John J. Haivland—Feb. 24th, 1862.
    • Levi P. Morrow—May 3d, 1862.
    • Joseph Mihals.
    • Joseph Perry—killed at Champion Hill.
    • Jacob B. Spade—March 8th, 1862.
    • Ira Somers—Feb. 10th, 1862.
    • John S. Stoner—Jan. 24th, 1862.
    • Jacob Valentine.

    • Henry Crabtree and Clinton Deardoff, on account of ill health.
    • Jno. Geiger, on account of wound received at Champion Hill.
    • James P. Gibson,
    • James M. Hoover,
    • James J. Hite,
    • Edward B. Keagel,
    • William A. Latham,
    • Joshua Nichols,
    • Isaac Vanhorn,
    • John L. Walker,
    • Lewis Crisler,
    • Sergeant Isaac Hanna,
    • Bennett Goodson,
    • Sergeant Jacob T. Wells.

    • Thos. Airly, to Invalid Corps, for wounds at Champion Hill.
    • Patrick Doyle, " " " " "
    • Morris G. Ward, to Non-commissioned Staff.
    • Allen Jaqua was a member of regimental band, 34th Regt.

    • Whole number 126
    • Transferred, Resigned and Discharged 19
    • Died 23
page: 246[View Page 246]

On the 21st of October they went to Camp Jo. Holt, at Indianapolis; thence, November 16th, to New Haven, Kentucky; remained there until the 28th of December, when they moved to Camp Wickliffe. In February, 1862, they marched to the mouth of Salt River, in the same State. The company had been very healthy until near the close of the year 1861, when, in about one month, eight of its members died, most of them of pneumonia. Their health began to improve with their removal from Camp Wickliffe. At the mouth of Salt River the regiment embarked on board a steamboat for Point Commerce, on the Mississippi River, in the State of Missouri. They marched across the country from this place by the way of Benton to New Madrid. The company took part in the siege of that town, and while so engaged they assisted in hauling a heavy cannon by hand to Biddle Point, a distance of fifteen miles, through swamps, and in the night. With this gun four of the rebel gunboats were driven off, one of which was disabled. After the capture of New Madrid, the company remained at that place until the 15th of June, 1862, when the 34th regiment was ordered on board transports and proceeded to Memphis, Tenn. Remaining there but a short time, they accompanied Col. Graham N. Fitch in his expedition up the White River. This company participated in the fight at Grand page: 247[View Page 247] Prairie; thence returning to Helena, Arkansas, where the regiment remained from August 1st, 1862, until April 12th, 1863, moving out occasionally on the roads leading from that place to Little Rock, Clarendon and Duvall's Bluff, to watch the movements of the enemy. The regiment also made two other excursions up White River, under Gen. Willis A. Gorman. On the 12th of April, 1863, the regiment was placed on board transports, with orders to report to Gen. Grant at Young's Point, Louisiana. Arriving there on 16th of April, the troops marched to Grand Gulf, or Perkins' Plantation, a distance of fifty miles, across a country interspersed with broad and deep bayous and swamps, which were bridged by the soldiers before they could be crossed.

Before narrating the stirring events that come next in chronological order, it is proper to state that Col. Steele having resigned, Lieut. Col. (now General) Cameron became Colonel. Prior to this Lieut. Headington had been detailed to command company K, of the same regiment; but Captain Campbell having been appointed Lieutenant Colonel of the 1st Arkansas colored regiment, he became Captain of company B. The regiment was assigned to the 13th Army Corps, 12th Division, commanded by Gen. A. P. Hovey.

The 30th day of April was spent in transporting the troops across the river, preparing rations, and page: 248[View Page 248] making other arrangements for a march. Just at dark the army commenced their line of march, in the direction of Port Gibson. After marching all night the advance guard fell in with the enemy's pickets about five o'clock in the morning, some four miles from Port Gibson. At daybreak a halt was ordered, and the men were allowed fifteen minutes to take some refreshments. While the men were yet eating, the enemy opened fire upon them with artillery. The troops were immediately ordered to march to the summit of a steep hill, where they were formed in line of battle and moved steadily forward.

The engagement now became general along the whole line. Our army, however, marched steadily through a dense cane-brake, some four hundred yards, and, on emerging from this thicket, one of the enemy's batteries was discovered only about two hundred yards distant, which was belching forth grape and canister at a furious rate.

A charge was ordered, and, in a short time, the battery was captured, together with two wagons loaded with ammunition, and about three hundred prisoners.

The 34th regiment was in the advance in this charge, and six men in company B were wounded, one of whom, Bailiff. W. Stowell, died of his wounds.

The battle continued through the whole day page: 249[View Page 249] the enemy slowly but steadily falling back. At night our troops slept upon their arms, on the battle-field. The morning of the 2d of May revealed the fact that the enemy had fled during the night, and the Federal army occupied Port Gibson, early in the day.

On the 3d of May the army moved toward Jackson, Mississippi, and, after taking that place, started in the direction of Vicksburg.

On the 16th of May the battle of Champion Hills was fought. General Hovey's Division bore the brunt of the fight. Company B, of the 34th regiment, lost in killed and wounded, seventeen men.

Captain Headington, two days after the battle writes: "We fought another hard battle on the 16th, in which many of our brave boys fell. In my company first fell, by my side, William H. H. Bailey, mortally wounded, next Staley, then Chapman on my right fell, mortally wounded, while defending the colors. Then, on my left, Perry was killed, then fell Swaney, mortally wounded, then Geiger, wounded in the leg, then Doyle, wounded in the shoulder, Airley, wounded in the thigh, Pugh, wounded in the back, Daniel Crisler, in the arm, George Denney, in the hand, William Louk, in the hand, D. Shinn, in the wrist, James Crislee, in the shoulder, Houk, in the hand, Hammitt in the leg—seventeen in all. Never did page: 250[View Page 250] boys fight braver than did company B. Lieutenant Colonel Swain is wounded in the lungs, I fear mortally. Our regiment killed and captured one entire Alabama regiment. We made it so hot for them that the colonel rode up, threw up his hat and cried for mercy, saying that he surrendered his whole command."

The enemy was completely routed and driven from the field, leaving their dead and wounded. The 16th and part of the 18th were spent in burying the dead.

On the morning of the 19th, the army moved in the direction of Vicksburg, and, on the 20th, at early dawn, came in sight of the doomed city. Then commenced the memorable seige of that town, which resulted in its surrender, with the entire army, under General Pemberton, on the 4th of July, 1863.

This company was engaged in this siege from the commencement to its close, shooting during the day, and digging in the trenches during the night, yet not one of them was injured by the shots of the enemy during the whole time.

On the 5th of July the regiment started for Jackson, Mississippi, under General Sherman, when the rebel General Johnston was driven from that place, and many miles of railroad destroyed.

Early in August the regiment went to Natches, and thence to New Orleans, where they page: 251[View Page 251] arrived on the 15th of that month. Remaining about a month, they were ordered to Brashier City. From there they accompanied Banks' expedition to Teche Bayou, and were engaged for two months, without tents, in scouting through the country, occasionally encountering small bodies of rebels, which were uniformly captured or put to flight. They came, by a forced march, to the assistance of General Burbridge, at the battle of Carrion Crow, in time to save him from defeat. The regiment arrived at New Iberia, Louisiana, on the 10th of December, and, on the 14th of that month, most of the men re-enlisted, including forty-four of company B.

The regiment returned to New Orleans on the 23d day of December. On the 29th, they embarked on board a steam-ship for Matagorda Peninsula, Texas. After remaining there two months the regiment returned to New Orleans on the 23d of February, 1864, where they remained until the 20th of March, when the re-enlisted men were furloughed for thirty days. They started for their homes immediately, arriving at Indianapolis on the 29th, and, on the 1st of April, were given a grand reception by the Governor and other dignitaries of the State and city of Indianapolis.

On the morning of the 3d of April the veterans belonging to Jay County received the greetings page: 252[View Page 252] of their friends at home, after an absence of two years and seven months.

After spending a month among their friends they again returned to their field of service. Arriving at Indianapolis on the 2d of May, 1864, they remained one week at Camp Carrington and the 19th of May found them again at New Orleans, where they still remain.

Before the regiment left Indianapolis, Captain Headington was promoted to Major of the 34th regiment.

This company, throughout the varied and arduous services in which they have been engaged, have, on all occasions, acquitted themselves with distinguished honor, and, in the future, they will not be found wanting in bravery, patient endurance and devotion to their country's cause in every trial to which the fortunes of war may subject them.


  • Captain, Joseph P. Winters.
  • First Lieutenant, Royal Denney, resigned Dec. 6th, 1862.
  • Second Lieutenant, Levi James, resigned Jan. 15th, 1863.

    • Frederick W. White, promoted first lieutenant Jan. 16, 1863.
    • Joseph L. Hall, promoted to first sergeant.
    • Joseph Eblin.
    • Aaron W. Wright, promoted second lieutenant Jan. 16, 1863
    • John H. Jackson.
  • page: 253[View Page 253]

    • William S. Peterson, promoted to fourth sergeant.
    • Adam Loy, promoted to fifth sergeant.
    • Stephen A. Stratton, died in Fort Pickering Aug. 9th, 1863.
    • Charles T. O'Harra,
    • Perry Arbaugh,
    • David W. Adams,
    • Elijah Broughman.
    • Jonathan Cloud, musician, wounded at Munfordsville, Ky., Sept. 14th, 1862.
    • John Ogden, musician.
    • Philo P. Way, wagoner.
    [The † denotes those discharged.]

    • David S. Arnold,†
    • Daniel Armantrout,†
    • John Armantrout,
    • John C. Athy, killed at Yellow Bayou, Louisiana, May 18th, 1864,
    • George W. Arbaugh, promoted corporal,
    • William T. Adams,
    • David Boyles, died in hospital at St. Louis,
    • Daniel Broughman, died Dec. 8th, 1862, at camp near Memphis,
    • George M. Brewington,
    • John C. Beard,
    • Hallot Bryan, died at hospital, Memphis,
    • Abraham Bartmes,
    • George W. Beason, killed at Pleasant Hill, Louisiana, April 9th, 1864,
    • John Bonecutter,
    • William Henry,
    • Silas Isenhart, died July 5th, 1863,
    • John D. Jetter,
    • Joseph Jackson,
    • Samuel W. Jones, died Oct., 1863,
    • Jesse James, died May, 1863, at Fort Pickering,
    • Francis M. Kelley,
    • Jasper N. Loofbourrow,
    • Henry Landers,†
    • Chester Lewis,
    • Christopher Loper,†
    • Robert W. McFarland, died at Fort Pickering, July 20th, 1863,
    • William H. Mason,†
    • Charles A. Morehous,
    • Mahlon Morrical,
    • George W. Meek, killed May 7th, 1864, at Lamore, La.
    • Ebenezer Miller.
    • page: 254[View Page 254]
    • Joseph Blackburn,†
    • Stephen Barr,
    • Elias Buckingham,
    • Absalom Bergman,
    • Josiah Clawson,
    • Garrett Clawson,
    • Cornelius Corwin, promoted corporal,
    • Peter M. Cook,†
    • John A. Conkle,
    • Fountain Delph,
    • Minor Evelsizor,
    • Lafayette Evelsizor, died in Fort Pickering,
    • Jesse Elliott,†
    • Benjamin Fifer,
    • George W. Glassford,†
    • Willia Gilbert,
    • Joseph Gray, killed at Yellow Bayou, Louisiana, May 18th, 1864,
    • Lewis H. Houser,
    • William R. Haffner,
    • Benjamin J. Hudson, died in hospital, Memphis, Aug. 3d, 1864,
    • George Henry, wounded and left in hands of rebels at Pleasant Hill, April 9th, 1864,
    • John Hanlin, promoted to corporal,
    • Timothy Nidey,
    • Henry C. Powers,
    • Samuel Premer,
    • Frederick Premer, died in hospital at Memphis, March 10th, 1864,
    • John G. Ross,
    • Isaac Rantzt
    • Daniel Rosnong,
    • William K. Sanders, transferred to marine fleet,
    • William Shane,
    • Lonton Scott,†
    • George W. Swihart,
    • William H. Stratton, died at Fort Pickering, March 1st, 1863,
    • Timothy L. Stratton,
    • Franklin Snyder, promoted to corporal,
    • Levi Sfager,
    • William Sigler, killed at Yellow Bayou, May 18, 164,
    • Jacob Teters,
    • Jeremiah Tinkle, died at home,
    • Washington Walter
    • Francis Warnock,
    • Robert Wible,
    • Jacob Wible,
    • Joseph Williams,
    • Robert Young, died at Fort Pickering, March 5, 1863.

    • Elias Loofbourrow,
    • William F. Metzner,
    • John Y. Miller,
    • William S. Kelley,
    • Pliny Bickle.
  • page: 255[View Page 255]

    • Whole number 100
    • Resigned, Transferred and Discharged 14
    • Died 15
    • Reported as Deserters, not included above 4

Company E was recruited in August, 1862, and, on the 18th of that month, left Jay for camp, having first accepted a bountiful farewell supper from the ladies. The next day they reached camp at Wabash, Indiana, Colonel John U. Pettit, commandant, where the following officers were unanimously elected: Captain, Joseph P. Winters, First Lieutenant, Royal Denney, Second Lieutenant, Levi James.

On the 26th they went to Indianapolis, where they received arms, uniforms, one month's wages, and twenty-five dollars of their bounty. They arrived in Louisville August 31st. Thus, in about twenty days, this full company had been recruited, armed, equipped and had arrived in Dixie, ready for active service which they were soon called upon to perform.

They reached Munfordsville, Kentucky, September 3d, where they were stationed to guard the railroad bridge across Green river.

There were two small forts here, one above, the other below the bridge, between which a line of breastworks had been commenced, and negroes were now at work upon them. The number of page: 256[View Page 256] troops at this point now was twenty-five hundred. On the night of the 13th of September the troops were called out and stationed around the works. About daylight they were attacked by eight thousand rebels, under Chalmers, when they were driven within their fortifications. The rebels then charged that part of the fort where the 89th regiment was stationed, but were driven back with heavy loss. After making another similarly unsuccessful attempt upon another part of the fortifications, the enemy withdrew, and, having obtained permission, spent the remainder of the day burying their dead and caring for the wounded. Our loss in killed and wounded was about forty, while that of the enemy was seven hundred.

Company E lost one man, Jonathan Cloud, seriously wounded. The next day our men received a reinforcement of two regiments and six pieces of artillery.

Chalmer's force proved to be only the advance of Bragg's great army, a part of which completely surrounded our small force, planting artillery on every hill lying around the fortifications. It was a useless waste of life to contend longer, and, on the morning of the 17th of September, the entire Federal force surrendered. It is notorious that General Buell, being near by with his immense army, might easily have turned this disaster into a victory, but he failed to do it. These prisoners page: 257[View Page 257] were immediately paroled and sent toward Buell's army. They went first to Bowling Green and thence to the Ohio river, at Brandenburg, from which place they came to Jeffersonville. During their march to the river they suffered much; hard marching and exposure had made many sick, and they had to live upon the country through which they were passing. At Indianapolis they were fourloughed for twenty days, and all returned home, having been in the service less than six weeks. While at home, Lieutenant Denney was elected County Treasurer, to succeed J. P. Winters, who held that office when he entered the army.

On the 27th of October they returned to parole camp, at Indianapolis, where, on the 17th of November, just two months after their surrender, Governor Morton, in a speech, informed them that they had been exchanged.

On the 4th of December they took the cars for Cairo, Illinois, where they proceeded aboard the Ohio Belle, bound for Memphis, where they arrived December 8th, and camped one mile southeast of the city. They performed picket duty around the city until near the close of the month, when they were stationed in Fort Pickering, on the river just below the city, where they remained nearly one year—until October 18th, 1863. This long period of the history of this company, though page: 258[View Page 258] checkered with many interesting incidents, such as visits from friends, journeys up and down the river as guards, etc., may, nevertheless, be characterized as very dull and monotonous.

On the 7th of April, 1863, Capt. J. P. Winters was honored with the appointment from Gen. Veatch of Provost Marshal of Fort Pickering, which position he filled with much credit during his stay at the fort. During this absence of the Captain the company was commanded by Lieut. White.

There was great joy in company E when, October 18th, they were removed from the Fort to a beautiful camping ground on Poplar street, east of Memphis, and again assigned to picket duty around the city. Here the boys declare the pleasantest part of their soldier-life was spent. The duty was light; but above all the pure air and exercise they now enjoyed, so in contrast with their long confinement in the Fort, brought back health and buoyancy of spirits to the men. But a soldier's comfort and ease is always of short duration. While here they participated in a victorious engagement against Gen. Forrest, at Lafayette, and pursued him to Cold Water, Miss., returning to Memphis New Year's, 1864. January 28th they left their beautiful camping ground, and boarded a steamer, in company with a small fleet starting to Vicksburg, where they arrived on the 30th page: 259[View Page 259] instant. In February they accompanied the famous "Sherman raid" through Mississippi, in which the railroads centering at Jackson and Canton were effectually destroyed. They reached Vicksburg again March 4th, having been absent about one month, during which they had traveled three hundred miles. In this expedition, so severely damaging to the rebel cause as to give lasting honor to the men who participated in it, the soldiers saw some very hard times. The boys of company E were unused to marching; their knapsacks were heavy; they seldom drew more than half rations, often not so much, and for two or three days, in the eastern part of the State, lived mostly upon parched corn. Nevertheless, they had pleasant weather and good roads, plenty of water and the privilege of confiscating whatever they found in the country fit to eat, and company E knew as well how to use this privilege as any company in the expedition.

Six days after their return they set out—under command of Gen. A. J. Smith—upon an expedition up Red River. On their way they halted at Semmesport, marched across the country, and after a hard fight captured Fort De Russey and three hundred prisoners, March 14th. On the 21st of the same month they were sent to Pine Hill, La., twenty miles from Alexandria, where they captured three hundred prisoners, four pieces page: 260[View Page 260] of artillery, etc. They then returned to Red River, went on up to Pleasant Hill, where they participated in a severe battle on the 8th and 9th of April, 1864, under Gen. Banks. On the first day our forces were repulsed, but on the second day Gen. Smith checked the rebels and drove them back. The 89th made a charge, capturing one hundred prisoners. The loss of the regiment was six killed and forty-nine wounded—company E one killed and five wounded. From this place, very strangely, a retreat was ordered by Gen. Banks. Of this movement Capt. Winters wrote in his diary as follows:
"Why General Banks ordered a retreat is a mystery to all. Here was the battle-field covered with the dead and wounded rebels, neither of them taken care of. Here were thousands of small arms left on the field, sufficient to arm several thousand men, eleven pieces of artillery dismounted or disabled. This had been done by our men, but we must leave all for the rebels to gather up again. Our own dead were not even buried. A thousand groans and ten thousand curses were hurled against Banks."

The army fell back to Grand Ecore and then to Alexandria, skirmishing almost constantly—reaching Alexandria April 26th, just one month after they left it for Shreveport. They continued their course down Red River till May 7th, when a severe engagement took place, in which the rebels were defeated, company E losing one mortally wounded. May 17th they reached Semmesport page: 261[View Page 261] again, and the next day another battle was fought, in which the 89th lost seven killed and forty-four wounded—company E two killed and two wounded. May 24th the regiment arrived at Vicksburg, where they camped till June 4th, when they started up the Mississippi. They reached Memphis June 9th, 1864, since which time they have been engaged in the important raids of General Smith. The fortunes of war have rested heavily upon company E, but in every battle and through all hardships they have exhibited true courage and fortitude. Their record is a highly honorable one, and will remain a monument to their memories.


  • Captain, John W. Headington, promoted to major June 1, '64.
  • Lieutenant, Gideon Rathbun, wounded at Missionary Ridge, November 25, 1863.
  • Second Lieutenant, Stephen B. H. Shanks, wounded at Missionary Ridge, November 25, 1863.

    • Isaac N. Frazee,
    • Eli Vore,
    • Edwin Rowlett.
    • William F. Ware, died at Colliersville, Tenn., April 4, 1864.
    • David J. Moore, wounded at Missionary Ridge Nov. 25, 1863.

    • Thomas Koons, died at Grand Junction, Tenn., Feb. 2, 1863.
    • Jacob Haviland, wounded at Missionary Ridge Nov. 25, 1863.
    • Solomon M. Barnes, promoted to sergeant May, 1863, for good conduct; received a slight wound at Dallas May 28.
    • page: 262[View Page 262]
    • Sanford B. Couldren.
    • Liberty Patterson.
    • Andrew J. Thomas, discharged Nov. 7, '63, at Mound City.
    • Jacob Bosworth, discharged at Memphis, March 22, 1863.
    • Wm. Fifer, slight wound at Mission Ridge Nov. 25.
    • Henry Hammons, drummer.
    • Aquilla K. Mills, fifer, died —.
    • Wm. Wiley, fifer.

    • Samuel Allman, slight wound November 25.
    • Joseph S. Antles,
    • Jonathan Armantrout.
    • John F. Bowden, promoted to first lieutenant company B, 11th Indiana cavalry, October, 1863.
    • Ephraim Byrd, died at home August 24, 1863.
    • George D. Borden, regimental harness maker.
    • Daniel Bickel, died at Memphis October 23, 1863.
    • Samuel A. Blake, died at Memphis June 10, 1863.
    • James Baker,
    • William Brunner,
    • Nathan Bubmire,
    • George H. Bunnell,
    • Lewis B. Bunnell,
    • James M. Bair.
    • Jonathan Cain, discharged May 26,'63;at Colliersville, Tenn.
    • Charles W. Caster, promoted corporal Jan. 1, '64, for gallant conduct; died at Bellefonte Station, Ala., Feb. 19, '64.
    • John M. Collett, wounded at Mission Ridge Nov. 25, '63.
    • Mulford C. Carl, wounded at Chattahoochie River July 4,'64.
    • James Cartright, died at Memphis Nov. 29, 1862.
    • Jesse Collins,
    • Joseph L. Carl,
    • William Cherry.
    • Joseph Dehoff, died at St. Louis Dec. 20, 1862.
    • Amos Ducket,
    • George Fritzinger,
    • Richard Fitzgerald,
    • Henry Flooding,
    • Joshua W. Flood,
    • Abner J. Frazee.
    • John Flooding, killed at Mission Ridge Nov. 25, 1863.
    • Obed Gibson, died at La Grange, Tenn., Jan. 15, 1863.
    • Henderson Graves, wounded at Dallas, Ga., May 28.
    • Abram Geiger, wounded at Mission Ridge Nov. 25.
    • Daniel D. Ginger,
    • Stephen M. Hughes,
    • Wm. W. Horner,
    • George B. Haffner,
    • Wm. H. Hester,
    • James Hoad.
    • Levi P. Hilton, died at Vicksburg Sept. 28, 1863.
    • page: 263[View Page 263]
    • Henry C. Holtsapple, died at Bellefonte Station, Feb. 28, '64.
    • James D. Hardy, died at La Grange, Tenn., March 9, 1863.
    • Caleb Haviland, discharged November 26, 1862.
    • Joseph C. Hawkins, hospital steward.
    • Thomas H. Iliff, died at St. Louis August 5, 1863.
    • James Jones.
    • Noah Kunce, died at Memphis Nov. 26, 1862.
    • Joseph W. Lafollett, died at LaGrange, Tenn., Feb. 27, '63.
    • Jon C. Morris, died at Nashville, Tenn., Dec. 18, '63.
    • Jacob W. McCrskey, wagon master.
    • James A. Mason, wounded at Mission Ridge Nov. 25.
    • J. W. Merchant, died at Colliersville, Tenn., May 7, '63.
    • Lafayette Morgan, died at Scottsboro, Ala., Dec. 27, '63.
    • John M. Mills, died at LaGrange, Tenn., Feb. 7, '63.
    • David Mills, hospital steward at Indianapolis.
    • Cassius B. Mills, discharged at Colliersville May 26, '63.
    • Edward Nicholas,
    • Elias A. Porter,
    • Joshua Poling,
    • Charles Plummer,
    • Isaiah Parkison,
    • John J. Rathbun,
    • Alexander W. Ruhl,
    • Charles W. Rarrick,
    • Ezekiel Rowlett, discharged at Indianapolis Aug. 25, '63.
    • Noah Ruhl, promoted corporal Dec. 25, '63.
    • Eli Rines,
    • Adam Shultz,
    • Jacob Sutton, discharged at Memphis March 16, '63.
    • Henry Spahr, died at Camp Sherman August 18, '63.
    • Solon C. Stratton, died on Tallahatchie River Dec. 2, '62.
    • Henry C. Staley,
    • Taylor Towle,
    • Granville C. Tucker,
    • Robie M. Towle,
    • Alvah J. Tucker, wounded at Dallas, Ga., May 28, '64.
    • Jesse Thompson,
    • Samuel Wilkison,
    • John Westfall,
    • David Wolf,
    • Joseph B. Whitenack,
    • James G. Walker, promoted corporal May, 1863; killed at Mission Ridge Nov. 25, '53.
    • Cyrus J. Wilson, died at Snider's Bluff June 26, '63.
    • Jacob West, wounded at Mission Ridge Nov. 20, '63.
  • page: 264[View Page 264]

    • Total 103
    • Discharged 7
    • Died 25

Company H was recruited in August, 1862; left Portland September 9th; reported at Wabash, when it organized by electing the following officers: Captain, John W. Headington; First Lieutenant, Gideon Rathbun; Second Lieutenant Stephen B. H. Shanks. They were mustered into the three years' service at Indianapolis on the 23d of September. Early in October they were furloughed home for a few days. On the 11th of November they went by rail to Cairo; thence by steamboat to Memphis, where they joined Grant's army and acompanied him on his grand expedition through Mississippi in the fall of 1862. They were as far South as Yocknapatafa. On their return they reached Grand Junction January 10th, 1863, in the vicinity of which they remained during the winter.

On the return march to Holly Springs the company began to feel the hardships of war. Their rations failed, and they lived as they could, some of the time on raw or parched corn, and but little of that. A member of the company (a lad of sixteen years) writes thus: "Many murmur and say they have nothing to eat and must starve. For my part I find it easy enough to get along— page: 265[View Page 265] if one only takes a little care. I had an ear of corn for my breakfast and put another ear in my pocket for my supper."

In March, 1863, they moved to Colliersville, Tennessee, where they remained, doing guard duty and scouting until June 5th, when they proceeded to Vicksburg and joined the grand siege of that city. After its surrender they went with the force which drove the rebel Johnston from Jackson, Mississippi.

They spent nearly three months in camp on Big Black River, and late in September proceeded up the river to Memphis, thence by land through Northern Mississippi and Alabama to Chattanooga, Tennessee. The march from Memphis to Chattanooga was long and severe, occupying forty days, the distance being about three hundred miles. The men endured the trip pretty well, however; many of them even gaining in health and strength during the long and tiresome journey. On Lookout Mountain, and in the region overlooking and threatening Chattanooga and Grant's gallant army, lay Bragg's rebel hosts. Hardly had Sherman's brave troops taken a little rest until the combined forces made a fierce and persistent attack on the enemy. Up the heights of Missionary Ridge and Lookout Mountain the resistless heroes charged, killed and captured great numbers and drove the rest in confusion for page: 266[View Page 266] many miles into Georgia. In this fierce battle of three days Company H took an active and honorable part, in which they lost two killed and eleven wounded, mostly severely, including both Lieutenants. The number engaged was thirty-two, including officers. The standard bearer was shot down. Private J. C. Hawkins seized the falling banner, waved it defiantly to the foe, rallied the wavering columns, and bore it triumphantly to the end of the fight. For this and other gallant conduct he was publicly complimented, and the officers of the regiment, through Chaplain Brouse, presented to him an officer's uniform.

On the 26th of November they started in pursuit of the retreating rebels, and continued as far as Graysville, Georgia, where they burned a large mill, and tore up and destroyed the railroad track and bridges. They were then selected as part of the force to march to the relief of Knoxville. In that expedition of more than three weeks the men marched day after day, sometimes till midnight, half naked, bare-footed, without rations or cooking utensils, yet almost without a murmur. Arrived at Maysville, they learned that the rebels had run, and they returned by way of Chattanooga and Bridgeport, to Scottsboro, Alabama, where they arrived December 27th, 1863.

The march to the relief of Knoxville was one of peculiar and excessive hardships. In the page: 267[View Page 267] battle of Missionary Ridge, and the subsequent pursuit, occupying five days, the company had left or thrown away clothes, equipage, etc., and they had almost no blankets, tents, overcoats, or cooking utensils. Some melted their canteens apart, and used them to bake bread upon. They subsisted on what they could obtain by the way, which was insufficient to satisfy their hunger, and though it was December, many were bare-footed and without blankets; yet the brave and noble men bore these hardships even with cheerfulness. The following letter, written to the church of which the writer was a member, shows the spirit of some of these soldiers:
July 12th, 1864—Sabbath morning. DEAR BRETHREN:—

I cannot but contrast the difference between our situations at this moment. You are preparing to worship God in your little church, and to listen to the words of "Peace on earth and good will to men," while I, your brother, am lying close to a trembling earth, made so by the whizzing of balls and shells aimed for our destruction! You no doubt will be interested in the character of my reflections and feelings in the circumstances.

After singing "The Lord my Shepherd is," "From every stormy wind that blows," and "On the mountain top appearing," I committed myself, my family, my brethren and my country to God's keeping. The result is a calmness and resignation that is almost surprising to myself. How far I shall be able to maintain this state of feeling of course I cannot tell, but I trust that I shall be enabled to find strength in page: 268[View Page 268] the promise, "The Lord is a present help in every time of need," and "As thy day is, so shall thy strength be," and if not a sparrow falls to the ground without our Heavenly Father, why need I be afraid?

Now, brethren, as it regards the principles we have contended for: In the face of death I believe they are right! I have lived by them and stood up for them in life; and if it please God that I should now die, I shall die with the full confidence that piety to God and humanity to man are the sum and substance of Christ's holy religion. I exhort you, therefore, to stand fast by them—"Stand up for Jesus!" and though we may always be unpopular among men, yet "it pays" to have the consciousness that all is well when there is danger in every step, and one looks death square in the face. (We are looking every moment for an order to charge.)

Farewell. May the peace of God, that passeth all understanding, be with you to the end.

Your brother, * * *

Early in January, 1864, the regiment was again set to guarding railroads, and continued until May 1st, when it joined the grand army now before Atlanta. In this campaign it has participated in engagements at Resaca, Dallas, New Hope Church and Kenesaw Mountain, and several have been wounded. Their losses have been heavy throughout the war. In sixteen different places and seven different States, their "dead ones brave" are lying. The battle-scarred veterans of company H have made a record which while they live will be their honor, and when they die will be their glorious epitaph.

page: 269[View Page 269]


  • Captain, Dr. Christopher S. Arthur, promoted to surgeon.
  • First Lieutenant, J ohn S. Stanton, promoted to captain Aug 20, 1862—wounded at Chickamauga.
  • Second Lieutenant, Abraham C. Rush, promoted to first lieutenant Aug. 20, 1862, resigned Dec. 22, 1862.

    • Orderly, Jesse T. Underwood, promoted to second lieutenant Aug. 20, 1862, resigned Feb., 1863.
    • Guy W. McGriff, promoted to first lieutenant Dec. 23, 1862, resigned April 16, 1864.
    • Joseph Lewis, promoted to orderly Dec. 23, 1862; to second lieutenant Feb., 1863.
    • Justice Green, died at home Nov. 1863.
    • John Hardy, jun., wounded at Kenesaw Mountain,
    • Oliver H. P. Hammitt, transferred to gunboat.

    • Henry V. Walling, wounded at Kenesaw Mountain,
    • Henry Getz,
    • John P. Boyd, died Nov. 1862
    • David Henry,
    • Charles E. Bennett, died at Castillian Springs Nov. '62
    • William Arbaugh,
    • Jas. Stewart, killed at Chickamauga,
    • Solomon Dehoff,
    • Charles A. Black,
    • Charles W. Robbins,
    • Edward J. Haynes.
    • Alexander Hyde, fifer, wounded at Kenesaw Mountain.
    • William R. Miller, drummer, discharged.

    • Charles S. Butterworth,
    • Albert Bunris,
    • James W. Binegar, wounded at Missionary Ridge,
    • Lyman Brown, discharged,
    • John McKinstry, discharged—died before reaching home.
    • George W. McCartney,
    • William W. McLellan,
    • Perry Odell.
    • page: 270[View Page 270]
    • Elias F. Baird, died at Chattanooga,
    • Aaron Baker,
    • Thomas J. Cartwright,
    • Joseph A. Craig,
    • Harvey Collins,
    • Francis A. Collett,
    • Samuel W. Dixon,
    • Eli Dehoff, discharged—died atter reaching home,
    • Samuel M. Elliott,
    • Samuel Force,
    • Timothy F. Fait, killed at Chickamauga Sept. 1863
    • Charles L. Fullmer, wounded at Chickamauga,
    • David Farris, discharged,
    • Lewis Ginger, detailed at brigade h'dq'rs as mt'd orderly
    • Lilburn Gray, discharged,
    • Enos T.Hoskins, died Nov.'62
    • Nathan B. Hickman, disch'd
    • Geo. W. Hammitt, promoted ord. ser't Feb. 12, 1864,
    • Joseph Heminger, detailed in Engineer Corps Dec. '62
    • David Heminger, detailed in Engineer Corps Dec. '62
    • William Heminger, wounded at Chickamauga Sept. '63
    • John Hardy, sen., discharged
    • Moses Hardy, died,
    • Charles Hughes,
    • Ephraim Jellison,
    • Thomas C. Keen, discharged April, 1864,
    • James Porter, killed at Kenesaw Mountain June 18, '64
    • Mailon I. Paxson,
    • Jesse J. Russell, died Jan. '63.
    • Seth Regester, died at Chattanooga,
    • David E. Reiley, wounded at Chickamauga,
    • Enos T. Reed, discharged,
    • Robt. Rensenberg, discharged,
    • Stephen Shelton, discharged,
    • Alexander Strain,
    • James A. Smith,
    • George Shirk, died Jan. 1863,
    • John Shirk, wounded at Chickamauga,
    • Charles A. Stephens, promoted corporal, and detailed as ordnance serg't Jan. 1864,
    • Jacob Schmidt, died Jan. 1863
    • Everett W. Sullivan, wounded at Chickamauga—disch'd,
    • Charles E. Stanton, died at Ringgold, Georgia,
    • William F. Smith, captured Dec. 1863,
    • Spencer Smith,
    • John W. Sage, wounded at Chickamauga,
    • T. L. Stratton, transferred to Co. E, 89th Indiana,
    • Cornelius Thompson, detached to Engineer Corps,
    • William W. Thorp,
    • William T. Underwood, disch.
    • William Vance, died Nov. '62
    • page: 271[View Page 271]
    • George H. Kinsey, killed at Chickamauga,
    • Henry Kuntz, discharged,
    • Richard Loyd, killed at Missionary Ridge,
    • Isaiah M. Larick, wounded at Kenesaw Mountain,
    • Francis M. Larick,
    • Robert Michaels,
    • Francis R. Moon,
    • John Meredith, died Jan. 1863 Aaron J. Mendenhall, died Jan. 1863,
    • William C. Vail,
    • John Walters, wounded at Chickamauga,
    • Jacob H. Wolford,
    • Jas. M. Wolford, died Jan. '63
    • Henry F. West,
    • Edward J. West, died Jan. '63
    • Uriah Williams, died,
    • Jasper N. Whitaker,
    • Samuel Wibel.
    • William H. Wilson, deserted to 13th Ohio, to which he formerly belonged.

    • Whole number 99
    • Died 24
    • Transferred, Resigned and Discharged 19

Company F was recruited in July, 1862, by A. C. Rush; left Portland on the 31st of the same month; the next day went into camp at Wabash; was assigned to the 75th regiment, and was mustered into the three years' service August 20th, and in two days were at Louisville. They were then, under orders of Gen. Dumont, sent to several points in Kentucky in search of the rebel Morgan. They visited Lebanon, Shepardsville and Lebanon Junction, etc., and then returned to Louisville on the 22d of September; thence went to Elizabethtown, and again returned to Louisville. On the 6th of October they left this city the third time and went to Frankfort, Versailles page: 272[View Page 272] and Bowling Green; thence to Castillian Springs, Tennessee, where they arrived November 28th, 1862. Here they lost, by disease, four of their members. Remaining here nearly one month, they set out for Murfreesboro, which point they reached January 6th, 1863. They remained at this place nearly six months, during which they lost by death eight and by being discharged nine. On the 23d of June they were once more ordered to march. At Hoover's Gap they found the enemy, but after considerable skirmishing he fled. Their next visits were to Tullahoma, Winfred, Dechard and University Heights on the Cumberland Mountains; crossed Lookout Mountain and Pond Springs on the 14th of September, and on the 19th engaged in that terrible struggle at Chickamauga, in which the 75th regiment lost nearly one-third of its members and company E three killed and seven wounded. In this fight they were in the 2d brigade, 4th division, commanded by Maj. Gen. Joseph J. Reynolds; 14th Army Corps, Maj. Gen. Geo. H. Thomas. The brigade commander, Col. King, was killed, and the command then devolved upon Col. Milton S. Robinson, of the 75th regiment. On the 20th they again encountered the enemy, a severe engagement followed, in which Capt. J. S. Stanton was wounded, and Lieut. Underwood commanded the company. Two days later they retired with page: 273[View Page 273] the army to Chattanoga. The rebels having cut off their communications by railroad, they were on short rations for three months. At this place three of company F died of disease. On the 25th of November they participated in the fierce contest at Mission Ridge, in which they lost one killed and two wounded. Lieut. Lewis commanded the company. From that time forward they were engaged in the great campaign in that department. On the 18th of June, 1864, at Kenesaw Mountain, they were in the front, and company F lost three in killed and four wounded. In November, 1863, Capt. Stanton was detailed on the recruiting service; Lieut. McGriff detailed as ordnance officer on Gen. Baird's staff, and the company was commanded by Lieut. Jos. Lewis.

Since the opening of Gen. Sherman's campaign company F has been most of the time in front, gallantly performing all duties required of it. It has met the enemy in some of the severest contests of the war. Its large list of noble men who have been killed and wounded on all these occasions, attests its uniform bravery and deeds of imperishable glory. We leave it looking from the front into the besieged city of Atlanta.

Company B, 11th Indiana Cavalry, was recruited by R. C. Harper, Elias Shewalter and J. F. Bowden, in October, 1863.

On the 10th of November they were page: 274[View Page 274] mustered into the three-years' service at Indianapolis. Mr. Bowden was appointed First Lieutenant. They were then sent to Kokomo, Indiana, to fill up the company, and on the 21st of December Mr. Shewalter was elected Captain, and Mr. Harper Second Lieutenant. On the 23d of January, 1864, they went to Indianapolis, where they waited until May for horses. They were then sent to Nashville, Tennessee, unmounted, where they voluntarily chose infantry duty to idleness, and have since served in that capacity. On the 1st of June they were sent to guard the railroad running from Stevenson to Huntsville, Alabama. Captain Shewalter, with one hundred and sixty-four men, was placed to guard Mud Creek Bridge, eight miles from Stevenson. Lieutenant Bowden was detailed to command Company A of the same regiment. They have been in the service only a short time, but are ready whenever called upon to imitate the bravery of the veteran soldiers from Jay. The following is a list of the company:


  • Captain, Elias Shewalter.
  • First Lieutenant, John F. Bowden, was in battles of Vicksburg and Jackson, Mississippi, in Company H, 100th Indiana, commissioned first lieutenant in the 11th Cavalry, Nov. 11th, 1863.
  • Second Lieutenant, R. C. Harper.

    • Orderly, Samuel F. Hiatt,
    • page: 275[View Page 275]
    • Quartermaster, Aaron L. Somers,
    • Commissary, Thomas W. Burk,
    • 1st, James A. Hutchinson,
    • 2d John W. Hall,
    • 3d. John Hindman,
    • 4th, Isaac M. McLellan,
    • 5th, John W. Cubbison.

    • 1st, John Vickrey,
    • 2d, Caleb M. Ducket,
    • 3d, Elias H. West,
    • 4th, Henry Elbert,
    • 5th, Raleigh Bowden,
    • 6th, Ambrose Somers, was in Co. H, 12th Indiana Regiment, at Antietam,
    • 7th, David J. Kelley,
    • 8th, William R. Frederick.
    • William Hyde, Bugler,
    • Joseph G. Harter, "
    • John N. Sullivan, Farrier.
    • John Cookerly, Blacksmith.
    • Henry Carpenter, Teamster.
    • Joseph S. Tucker, Saddler.

    • William Andrew,
    • George N. Adams,
    • John Armitage,
    • Sanford P. Burk, was in the battle of Willson' s Creek and Belmont, Mo., Fort Donelson, Shiloh, Chaplin Hills, Stone River, in Co. L, 4th Iowa Cavalry.
    • James Bowden,
    • Theodore Baily,
    • Marcus Bosworth,
    • George W. Bishop,
    • Francis Bickle,
    • George W. Bush, was in the battle of Richmond, Ky. wounded in hips. Served eleven months in Co. F, 69th Indiana.
    • Albert P. Loomis,
    • Robert Lanning,
    • Peter W. B. Loy,
    • James M. Moore,
    • Benry E. McCartney,
    • John Manson,
    • Daniel Martin,
    • John Myron, died March 26th 1864, at City Hospital, Indianapolis.
    • Wiley S. McLaughlin,
    • Dennis Matkins,
    • William Moccabee,
    • John Mays,
    • William McLelland,
    • James W. Nicholson,
    • William Nelson,
    • Asahel Oler,
    • Thomas Pingry
    • page: 276[View Page 276]
    • Isaac Barns,
    • William W. Bair,
    • William H. Cheneworth,
    • James J. Eagy,
    • John A. Garringer,
    • Elisha Gray,
    • Abraham Gray,
    • Richard Green,
    • James M. Hammitt,
    • Monroe Hindman,
    • William Harter,
    • Eli Houck,
    • Benjamin Herrald,
    • William S. Hyde,
    • Jacob Hutzler,
    • Johnson Houck,
    • Joseph Jenkins,
    • Albert N. Jack,
    • George Kimball,
    • Thomas D. Kerns,
    • Joseph Knapp,
    • Byron W. King,
    • William Kesler,
    • George W. Loy,
    • Zachariah Plumer,
    • David Rowlett,
    • William Richardson,
    • Silas Siders,
    • Daniel Sanders,
    • William Schlosser,
    • Thomas W. Sullivan,
    • Tilson Smith,
    • John Sims,
    • Aaron Sanders,
    • John Shearer,
    • Samuel Shaler,
    • John Stults,
    • Stephen Skinner,
    • F. J. Stover,
    • William Stout,
    • John N. Tucker,
    • James F. Thompson,
    • Francis Vining, died in City Hospital at Indianapolis, April 2, 1864,
    • Michael Wagner,
    • Samuel Walker,
    • Jacob Walker.
  • Died-2 Total- 98
Regimental officers from Jay County in the Seventh Indiana Cavalry Regiment:
  • Colonel, John P. C. Shanks, was on Gen. Fremont's staff in Missouri.
  • Surgeon, William Freeman.
  • Chaplain, James Marquis.
Members of Company E, Seventh Indiana Cavalry from Jay County: page: 277[View Page 277]
  • Captain, David T. Skinner.
  • Second Lieutenant, James Sloan, promoted to first lieutenant.

    • Orderly William M. Skinner,
    • 3d, Barton B. Jenkins,
    • 4th, James S. Stansberry.

    • Morgan L. Gray,
    • Judson Skinner, died —
    • John K. Tetters,
    • William Underwood.

    • John Adair,
    • William Adair,
    • Sanford P. Ames,
    • John W. Babb,
    • Joseph Blackburn,
    • John G. W. Clevenger,
    • James G. Cloud,
    • Daniel B. Crow, died —
    • Abijah Crow,
    • Humphrey Davis,
    • John H. Elliott,
    • David Farris,
    • Obadiah Gardner, died —
    • Isaac Griffith,
    • Samuel I. Gray,
    • George Haley,
    • Richard D. Hoover,
    • George W. Hambleton,
    • Jerome Hiatt,
    • Jas. C. Jay, Hospital Steward,
    • Emanuel Knepper,
    • Joseph Knepper,
    • Eli Lehr,
    • Benjamin F. Paxson,
    • John Q. Paxson,
    • Coston Porter,
    • John Roberts,
    • John Schneider,
    • William H. Smith,
    • Daniel H. Van Camp, killed in battle of Brice's Cross Roads, Miss., June 10, 1864
    • William Van Skyhawk,
    • John Ware,
    • Enos Walker,
    • Morris P. Wood.

    • Regimental Officers 3
    • Company E 43
    • Died 4

When the call was made in April, 1864, for volunteers to serve for one hundred days, page: 278[View Page 278] recruiting was immediately commenced in Jay. On the 20th of May the following company left Portland for Indianapolis. Remaining at Camp Carrington a few days, they were then sent to Fort Sands, Kentucky, thirty-five miles south of Louisville, where they are now located. Rev. N. T. Pettycord, a Methodist minister on the New Corydon circuit, and P. S. Loofbourrow, editor of the Jay Torch Light, went as privates in this company. The editor's wife, Mrs. Ann E. Loofbourrow, and Miss Rebecca Adams, took entire charge of the paper, editing it, setting the type, and doing all other work required to issue the paper. They did this work with a promptness, too, which many of their more pretending brothers of the press would do well to imitate.


  • Captain, A. C. Rush.
  • First Lieutenant, F. R. Stratton.
  • Second Lieutenant, G. W. Loofbourrow.

    • Orderly, Jacob Bosworth, jr.
    • 1st, A. W. Allen,
    • 2d, Isaac Simmons,
    • 3d, Andrew Sunday,
    • 4th, Samuel Eagy.

    • 1st, S. R. Bell,
    • 2d, G. W. Christman,
    • 3d, Henry Cristler,
    • 4th, Abraham Byrd,
    • 5th, John Pipe,
    • 6th, Joseph Jeleff,
    • 7th, J. J. M. Lafollett,
    • 8th, Alfred Shepherd.
  • page: 279[View Page 279]

    • J. H. Adams,
    • G. B. Anderson,
    • T. J. Ashdill,
    • Christian Burris,
    • William Beamer,
    • J. Binegar,
    • Lewis Bockoven,
    • Wesley Cristler,
    • E. F. Calderwood,
    • Hiram Carson,
    • W. R. Curtis,
    • J. H. Deffenbaugh,
    • B. L. Dewees,
    • Frank Fetters,
    • Silas Glover,
    • J. W. Grigsby,
    • David Galloway,
    • William Green,
    • Lewis D. Hall,
    • William Harness,
    • B. M. Howell,
    • Theodore Johnston,
    • Charles Lewis,
    • P. S. Loofbourrow,
    • F. R. Lewis,
    • G. W. Metzner,
    • E. E. Moon,
    • Geo. G. Montgomery Company Clerk,
    • E. J. Mendenhall,
    • James Marsh,
    • H. McLaughlin,
    • Joseph McLellan,
    • Abraham Morrical,
    • C. A. May,
    • M. C. MlcDugal,
    • John Miller,
    • H Milligan,
    • Jesse Milliken,
    • H. Owen,
    • William Parmenter,
    • Jeremiah Phillips,
    • W. B. Pingry,
    • N. T. Pettycord,
    • Daniel Rising,
    • Alexander Rayn,
    • A. Rook,
    • William Robbins,
    • Jacob Sunday,
    • J. Snider,
    • George Steckle,
    • J. H. Stratton,
    • J. Smith,
    • Stephen Shelton,
    • Thomas West,
    • William Walter,
    • A. B. Woodward,
    • J. Watkins,
    • J. Watts,
    • J. L. Whaley.
  • Total-75
The following one hundred days' men were enlisted at Camden by Capt. Geo. W. Fairchilds, who, uniting with a squad from Bluffton, went to page: 280[View Page 280] Indianapolis, and while the officers were at home getting recruits to fill the company, by order of the Adjutant General they were disbanded, and, with one exception, were distributed through the companies forming the 138th regiment, Colonel Shannon:
  • Thomas W. Bennett,
  • John Brandenburg,
  • — Brown,
  • Finley Farris,
  • Hiram G. Fulmer,
  • Theodore Grissell,
  • Hiram L. Grissell,
  • Ensley L. Gray,
  • Alonzo P. Hughes,
  • Nicholas Henizer,
  • — Henizer,
  • Gabriel C. Johnson,
  • Levi M. Johnson,
  • Thomas Jones,
  • William Keagle,
  • George W. Keagle,
  • William Mendenhall,
  • Mordicai Morris,
  • Abraham Morical, 139th Regt.
  • Stephen Ollum,
  • James A. Pugh,
  • Allen T. Place,
  • Benjamin F. Paxson,
  • Joseph E. Paxson,
  • Israel A. Place,
  • Frank Russell,
  • Samuel Shaffer,
  • John Thompson,
  • Theodore Underwood,
  • Joseph White,
  • John W. Williams.
  • Total: 31
The following one hundred days' soldier are in the 134th Indiana regiment:
  • Matthew Atkinson,
  • John Brewster,
  • J. W. Daugherty,
  • William C. Dye,
  • John J. Hawkins, member of non-commissioned staff,
  • — Smith.
  • Total: 6

Total one-hundred-days' men: 112

page: 281[View Page 281]

[The * designates those re-enlisted.]

  • Capt. John L. Reeves, promoted major May 22, '64.

    • Joseph H. Brewster, killed by railroad accident at Union City June, 1862.
    • Abram J. Brake, wounded at Chickamauga.
    • John W. McKay, transferred to Invalid Corps.
    • Nelson White,*
    • W. H. McLaughlin.

    • W. H. Frasher, died at home March, 1862.
    • Wm. B. Simmons, discharged January, 1864.
    • Geo. W. Blake, discharged September, 1863.
    • Wm. P. Beard, wounded at Chickamauga.
    • Wm. N. Strader, discharged July, 1863.
    • Edwin H. Snellbaker, killed at Chickamauga.
    • J. Q. A. Andrews,
    • G. W. Butcher,
    • J. W. Butcher,
    • Jason O. Brewster, wagoner.

    • Lewis Beard,* right arm amputated, wounded at Altoona.
    • Samuel Eagy, discharged September, 1863.
    • George Ehrhart, wounded five times at Chickamauga.
    • Hemen Emberson,* wounded at Chickamauga.
    • John G. McLaughlin, wounded at Chickamauga.
    • Francis M. McLaughlin, discharged.
    • Henry McLaughlin, died at Ashland, Ky., March 2d, 1863.
    • Lorenzo Stults, detailed Pioneer Corps, April, 1863.
    • John Eagy,
    • Hiram McLoughlin.

    • Whole number 26
    • Discharged and transferred 7
    • Died 4
page: 282[View Page 282]


  • Sergeant Henry Ammerman, promoted and resigned in 1861.
  • Corporal George Allman, mortally wounded at Antietam.
  • Corporal Isaac N. Frazee, discharged; re-enlisted in company H, 100th Indiana.
  • James W. Crowell, discharged.
  • David Gariinger, commissary sergeant, died.
  • David V. Garringer, re-enlisted; wounded at S. Mountain.
  • Jonathan Gray, discharged.
  • James Ham, killed at South Mountain Sept. 14, '62.
  • George L. Moore, re-enlisted; promoted at Antietam.
  • John Nixon, discharged.
  • Isaac R. Rathbun, wounded at Antietam; discharged.
  • G. R. Rathbun, discharged.
  • Wm. Williamson, wounded at Antietam; discharged.
  • John Hester, wounded at South Mountain; arm amputated.
  • Thomas Bonfill, killed in 1864.
  • E. G. Moore, at home sick.
  • Amos Whiteneck, killed in 1864.
  • Nathan B. Maxwell, enlisted April 18, 1861, in co. E, 8th Ind.; re-enlisted in 19th; died at Washington City Dec. 12, '62.
  • George M. Rathbun, discharged.
  • Alexander Burk, killed at Gettysburg.
  • Jackson Reeves,
  • C. C. Rider, wounded,
  • Albert Collett, wounded,
  • Valentine Thompson,
  • Isaac Cherry, wounded,
  • Thomas Barr.

    • Whole number 26
    • Died 7


  • Lieutenant Robert W. Nickum.
  • Lieutenant William Van Camp.
  • page: 283[View Page 283]
  • John Isenhart, died at Nashville July 2, 1864.
  • John S. McLaughlin,
  • Simon Burris,
  • John H. Smith,
  • Rev. Wm. Smith,
  • Wm. P. Wehrly,
  • James Williams,
  • John J. Campbell,
  • William White,
  • Thomas B. Hill,
  • Benjamin Emberson,
  • David H. Dutro.
  • Total: 14
The following persons, from Richland Township, are also in the One Hundred and Thirtieth Indiana:
  • William Current,
  • Abraham Coons,
  • John Cuness,
  • Jacob Daugherty,
  • Thomas Daugherty,
  • Thomas Dragoo,
  • Alva Evans,
  • James W. Evans,
  • Amos Hall,
  • James Hayes,
  • Jacob Hesser,
  • James Hoppis,
  • Alva Johnson,
  • Abraham Keesear,
  • William Maitle,
  • James Metlen,
  • William Powell,
  • Allen W. Roberts,
  • James Smith,
  • James Stawford,
  • Samuel Taylor,
  • — Mikle,
  • Samuel Wilson,
  • Total: 23


  • R. B. Castle,
  • H. P. Castle,
  • William Clough, killed near Ezekiel Clough, Vicksburg,
  • Calvin Diggs, taken prisoner at Chickamauga,
  • Enoch Fields,
  • William Matchet,
  • Lewis O'Neil,
  • Levi Matchet,
  • Peter Matchet,
  • W. S. Pinney,
  • David Reed.
  • Total: 12
page: 284[View Page 284]


  • M. D. Lockhart, Co. B, killed at Chickamauga,
  • Samuel B. Smith, Co. B,
  • W. M. Shrach, Co. B, wounded at Resaca,
  • J. W. Coulson, Co. B,
  • Charles Emerson, Co. E,
  • Benjamin Kemp, Co. E.
  • George Swank, "
  • Alexander Hutchinson, Co. E, wounded at Chickamauga,
  • Henry Hutchinson, Co. E.
  • John J. Brown,
  • Harris Black, Co. H.
  • Total: 11


  • George W. Crandall,
  • James W. Evans, shot three times at Shiloh,
  • Thomas Guston, Co. E,
  • W. H. Hubbard,
  • Charles W. Lambert,
  • Charles F. Losh,
  • James E. Phillips,
  • George W. McKinney, wounded twice at Shiloh,
  • W. G. Sutton,
  • Benj. Shields, died Oct. 3d, 1861;—first death among the soldiers from Jay Co.
  • John W. Thomas.
  • Total: 11


  • John Butcher,
  • Martin Butcher,
  • — Crabtree,
  • Harvey Denney, died —
  • Jasper Denney,
  • Franklin Denney,
  • Elisha H. Hunter,
  • Reuben Jones,
  • — Metzner,
  • James Smith,
  • Oliver Wells.
  • Total: 11
  • Deserted not given above: 4


  • Joseph Darst, 2d Ohio Art.
  • C. Hatmaker, Co. D, 85th Ohio
  • Robt. M. Mann, 2d Ohio Art.
  • Firmen Andrews, 81st Ohio
  • Ner Gaunt, 8th Ind.
  • Cyrus Grice, 87th Ohio
  • John Grice, "
  • Nathan Higgins, 47th Ind.
  • page: 285[View Page 285]
  • David Stahl, 6th Ind. Cav.
  • Geo. Chame, " "
  • John Buffington, 48th Ind.
  • G.A.Sommers, Co.E, 88th Ind.
  • Charles W. Cline, — Ohio
  • J.W. Denney, 87th Ohio, died.
  • Asa Tharp, 17th Ohio
  • T. Theurer, 8th Ohio Bat. died
  • Samuel Buther, 2d Ohio Art.
  • J. T. Snellbaker, " "
  • Jas. M. Anderson, 47th Ohio.
  • Jas. Allman, Co. A, 82d Ohio, taken prisoner at Chickamauga, still held.
  • David M. Bell, 47th Ind.
  • Alpheus Bailey, 13th Ind.
  • W. J. Bickel, 47th Ind.
  • M. P. Boggs, Co. D, 66th Ohio, wounded at Port Republic and discharged.
  • William T. Boggs, Co. D, 66th Ohio, wounded at Gettysburg—re-enlisted.
  • Hiram Bromagem, 8th Ind.
  • John Cring, 90th Ind.
  • Henry Crabtree, 57th Ohio
  • Johiel Crabtree, "
  • Joseph P. Carder, 19th Ind.
  • Malin V. Coons, 47th Ohio.
  • Job T. Devoss, 47th Ind. died
  • John W. Devoss, " "
  • Michael Downey, "
  • Daniel Dearworth, 87th Ohio
  • James Evans, 69th Ohio.
  • David W. Freeman, 12th Ind.
  • C. C. Higgins, 2d Mich Cay.
  • Jackson Hatterman, 47th Ind.
  • W. N. Higgins, "
  • John S. Hawkins, 22 Ohio
  • Isaac E. Haines, 47th Ind.
  • James A. Hanlin, 17th Ohio
  • David Jordan, Co. G, 40th Ohio
  • Charles R. Loomis, 12th Ind.
  • John Losh, 1st Ill. Cavalry
  • F. G. McConnell, 47th Ind.
  • R. L. McConnell, 80th "
  • Leander Moon, 85th Ohio
  • John Mongar, — Ind. Cav.
  • Samuel Morris, 87th Ind.
  • H. M. McLaughlin, 134th Ind.
  • Hiram McLaughlin, 87th Ohio
  • John G. McLaughlin, "
  • John Pfeifer, 1st Ohio Cav.
  • Theodore Parker, 17th Ohio
  • Webster Richmond, 12th Ind.
  • Geo. M. Randall, — Battery
  • Felix Ryan, 124th Ind.
  • Daniel W. Smith, 19th Ind.— Died at Washington.
  • Joseph A. Starbuck, 41st Ind.
  • Amos Shey, — Ohio
  • Penley Shey, "
  • Francis Snyder, 19th Ind.
  • O. B. Snyder, 40th Ohio
  • James Smith, "
  • James Spillman, "
  • John Stone, 87th Ohio
  • Francis M. Wright, 17th Ind.
  • Elisha B. West, 29th Ind.
  • A. J. Williamson, 19th Ind.
  • page: 286[View Page 286]
  • John Gaunt, 8th Ind.
  • William Guston, Co. E, 36th Ind. died Dec. 30, 1861.
  • Henry J. Warner, 8th Ind.
  • W. H. West, — Ohio
The following names are on the Provost Marshal's record, as volunteers for Jay, without the regiment being given:
  • H. H. Abbott,
  • John D. J. German,
  • George Goucher,
  • Joseph Glover,
  • Isaac Gray,
  • Jonathan Gibbons,
  • Benjamin Hutchins,
  • Henry Kizer,
  • Allen Loveall,
  • John C. Morris,
  • John H. McConnell,
  • Henry Mussey,
  • Adam Murray,
  • Eli Mock,
  • Willliam Mann,
  • Honry C. Mongar,
  • Jacob Money,
  • Thomas Paxson,
  • Martin Pinney,
  • Charles Pegg,
  • Eli Rives,
  • C. N. Rarrick,
  • Edwin Rynearson,
  • John N. Sullivan,
  • Jeremiah Vance,
  • John Vore,
  • Joseph Wood,
  • Cyrus J. Wilson,
  • John Warner,
  • Robert Young.
  • Total Miscellaneous: 108

In 1862 James B. Jaqua was appointed Draft Commissioner for Jay County. He took the first enrollment, and on the 6th of October, 1862, the following persons were drafted for nine months. They were taken to Indianapolis by Provost Marshal Isaac Underwood, where they had the privilege of choosing what volunteer regiment they desired to enter, and were scattered:

page: 287[View Page 287]

[Those marked with an asterisk (*) furnished a substitute.]


  • Washington Bridgford,
  • James J. Bridgford,
  • G. W. Current,
  • David Current,
  • W. N. Current,
  • D. M. Crumley,*
  • John Clippard,
  • John L. Fires,
  • Calvin Hickman,
  • Thomas Hall,*
  • James Kenton,
  • J. A. Keesaer,
  • J. W. Levally,
  • O. A. Lord,
  • A. P. Mallow,*
  • M. E. McDaniel,
  • D. F. Norris,
  • J. C. Norris,
  • T. G. Osburn,
  • J. M. Resler,
  • C. B. St. Johns,*
  • Benjamin Stover,
  • George Stover,
  • Daniel Sutton,
  • James J. Taylor—25.


  • George S. Barber,
  • John Barnes,*
  • John J. L. Craig,
  • Manasseh Johnson,
  • Griffin Johnson,
  • J. F. McFarland,*
  • Mordecai Phillips,
  • Allen Parker,
  • W. G. Smith,*
  • John Whitacre,
  • J, F. Woods,
  • William Wright—12.


  • F. M. Bell,
  • Cyrus Blackaby,*
  • William Ernest,
  • George Fires,*
  • Abraham Hahn, Jun.,
  • W. C. Hudson,*
  • W. H. Hammond,*
  • Samuel Hite,*
  • Benjamin Heston,
  • J. R. Judy,*
  • A. J. Landis,
  • Ephraim Morgan,
  • Joseph Mendenhall,
  • William Miller,
  • Milton McVey,
  • Chene Pyle,
  • James Patterson,
  • Henry Ritenour,*
  • G. W. Shepherd,*
  • Watson Swhier,
  • S. S. Taylor,
  • David Warren—22.
page: 288[View Page 288]


  • John Gilbert,
  • Henry Hizer,
  • J. N. Hiatt,*
  • D. M. V. B. Lanning,
  • John Murphy,
  • A. K. Pyle,
  • John Peterson,
  • Isaac Phillips,*
  • Jonas Phillips—9.


  • Alexander Anderson,*
  • J. A. Cunningham,
  • John Coffman,
  • Ira Gilbert,
  • John Hale,
  • S. D. Holsopple,*
  • L. T. Harter,
  • Emanuel Hartzell,
  • William Livengood,
  • J. A. Morehous,*
  • George Parsons,*
  • Daniel Theurer—12.


  • J. W. Bartmes,
  • William Bishop,
  • A. J. Gillum,*
  • Joseph Huey,*
  • James Pitt,
  • Moses Ross,
  • Zedekiah Wheeler—7.

Total number drafted: 87.

The casualties in the miscellaneous list and most of the fractional companies are not known.

  • Total number of soldiers from Jay: 1,131
  • Deduct drafted men: 87
  • Leaving the total number of volunteers: 1,044

A few, after being discharged, have re-enlisted, and their names appear twice, and a very few more are from other counties, leaving over ONE THOUSAND VOLUNTEERS from JAY COUNTY in the ARMY OF THE UNION! God bless them! Farewell.

no next