Search within this document:
Want to learn more?
- Do you have a question about this collection?
- Would you like to view the original items in this collection?
- Are you seeking permission to publish or reproduce items in this collection?
Lilly Library (Indiana University, Bloomington)
1200 E. Seventh St.
Bloomington, IN 47405-5500
Scott, Emmet Hoyt, 1842-1924
Materials are in English.
The Scott mss. II, 1854-1906, are papers of Emmet Hoyt Scott, 1842-1924, railroadman, lumberman, manufacturer, and mayor of LaPorte, Indiana, and his brother, Arthur Lee Scott, 1845-1878, businessman.
This collection is open for research.
Career of Emmet Hoyt Scott: born Broome County, New York, July 20, 1842; son of Wiley Huntington and Aseneth (Locke) Scott; taught school, Oswego, New York, December 1862-February 1863; employee in joint express office of the Adams & American Express Company, Centralia, Illinois, March-September, 1863; assisted father, September 1863-August 1864; construction department, Albany and Susquehanna Railroad, August 1864-February 1867; superintendent, construction and operating departments, Chicago, Cincinnati and Louisville Railroad Company, building a line from LaPorte to Peru, Indiana, 1867-1869; lumber industry, East Saginaw, Michigan, 1869-1887; partner, Niles & Scott, manufacturers of wheels for agricultural implements and vehicles, 1876-1902; secretary-treasurer of Saginaw land, brown stone, and copper mining company; and the Saginaw Copper Company, 1877; president of the Lac La Belle Company, Munising, Michigan, organized to buy, manufacture and dispose of timber and products thereof, and to purchase, hold, or sell the lands connected therewith, 1894-1906; began development of Munising, Michigan, and was general manager of the Munising Railway built from Munising to Little Lake to connect with the Chicago and Northwestern Railroad, 1895; president of the Island Coal Company, 1897; mayor of LaPorte, Indiana, 1889-1894; toured South America, January-March, 1911; on European agricultural tour, June-August, 1912; visited Central America, January-March, 1922; owned real estate and farms in Indiana and Michigan; died on June 20, 1924, at LaPorte, Indiana.
Career of Arthur Lee Scott: Born Nineveh, New York, August 17, 1845; son of Wiley Huntington Scott and Aseneth (Locke) Scott; served in 27th New York Regiment, 1861-1863; attended Cooperstown Seminary, Cooperstown, New York, August 1865-March 1866; messenger and agent of American Express Company, Chicago and Pana, Illinois, 1866-1871; partner in Scott Brothers brewing firm, 1871-1872; served in 5th U.S. Artillery, Company C, 1872-1877; employee of Saginaw Copper Company, 1877-1878.
The collection is organized into the following series: I. Correspondence; II. Accounts; III. Printed; and, IV. Miscellaneous.
The Scott mss. II, 1854-1906, are papers of Emmet Hoyt Scott, 1842-1924, railroadman, lumberman, manufacturer, and mayor of LaPorte, Indiana, and his brother, Arthur Lee Scott, 1845-1878, businessman. The collection consists of business, personal, and family correspondence of Emmet Hoyt Scott and Arthur Lee Scott; contracts and statements of accounts between tenants and Mary Relief Scott, wife of Emmet Hoyt Scott; maps of Fulton County, Indiana; an autograph book of Arthur Lee Scott while at Cooperstown Seminary; compositions written by Arthur Lee Scott while at Cooperstown Seminary; and a messenger's log book, diary, and receipt book of Arthur Lee Scott. Letters from Maria Amelia Scott, 1834-1889, who kept her father's hotel at Nineveh, New York, to her brothers Emmet Hoyt and Arthur Lee Scott comment extensively on contemporary social events as well as family matters. Correspondents represented in the collection include: W.C. Attix, C.H. Board, Charles Printy Drummond, Robert Holland Duell, John S. Gaylord, John W. Houghton, Samuel Franklin Miller, William B. Niles, Arthur Lee Scott, Edwin Wiley Scott, Emmet Hoyt Scott, Maria Amelia Scott, Jefferson Shafer, Milo R. Smith, and Horatio Governeur Wright. Consult the Manuscripts Index in the Library for dates of letters of individual correspondents.
Printed matter in the collection includes programs from the Artillery School, U.S.A., 1873 and 1874; miscellaneous brochures and advertisements dealing with the brewing industry. Miscellaneous items include pieces about ditches, fencing and knitting.
Scott mss.; also located at the Lilly Library, Indiana University, Bloomington, Indiana.
Photocopying permitted only with permission of the Curator of Manuscripts, Lilly Library.
Includes diary, autograph book, and receipt book of Arthur Lee Scott
Includes price list and advertisements for brewing supplies, ca. 1872
Includes newspaper clippings; New York Herald Almanac, 1875; Schenck's Almanac, 1875, 1876; Business cards; items from Artillery School, U.S.A, 1873-1874, and Cooperstown Seminary, 1865 and undated; illustrations removed from a bound volume; railway literature; product advertisements; The Daily Herald (La Porte, IN), May 6, 1889; Sunday School Advocate, Vol. XIII, no. 21, July 22, 1854
Includes plaintiff's claims concerning the location of ditches and fences on E.H. Scott's land
Includes notes on scrap paper, blank American Express checks and an I.O.U.
Contains knitting patterns
Includes essays and notes from Cooperstown Seminary, 1865-1866