Search within this document:
Want to learn more?
- Do you have a question about this collection?
- Would you like to view the original items in this collection?
- Are you seeking permission to publish or reproduce items in this collection?
A Guide to the Records at the Indiana University Archives
Processed by Andrea Bean.
Electronic finding aid encoded by Amanda Harlan
Indiana University Office of University Archives and Records Management
1320 East Tenth Street
Herman B Wells Library E460
Bloomington, IN 47405-7000
Indiana University. Division of University Extension.
2 cubic feet (2 boxes)
Materials are in English.
The Indiana University Extension Division was established in 1912. In 1946, it became part of the Division of Adult Education and Public Services and in 1957, it became the Division of University Extension. Collection consists of correspondence, reports, meeting minutes, and memoranda.
This collection is open for research.
Advance notice is required.
Talk of an extension division at IU first began in the 1890s after IU history professor Dr. Albert J. Woodburn attended an 1890 a meeting of educators in Philadelphia and returned convinced that Hoosiers would profit from a university extension program in their state. An Extension Division was established in 1912, and funding came the following year with an increased mill tax levy for higher education. In 1914, IU president William Lowe Bryan appointed Professor John J. Pettijohn the first director of the Extension Division.
The first center was organized in Indianapolis in 1916, followed by centers in Fort Wayne (1917), Gary (1922), Calumet (1932), South Bend Mishawaka (1933), Southeastern (1941), and Kokomo (1945). Partnerships with Earlham College in Richmond and Vincennes University were set up in 1946 and 1950 respectively.
In 1939, Donald F. Carmony became the first full time faculty member at the Fort Wayne Center, and in 1944 he was appointed director of the South Bend Extension Center where he served until 1950. During the six years of his tenure at South Bend, he emphasized expansion of the full time teaching faculty and development of a library. He also oversaw a large increase in enrollment with the Center going from merely 562 students in 1944 to 1,370 by 1950.
In 1950, Prof. Carmony was called back to Bloomington to head up the Extension Division as Associate Dean working with Assistant Dean H.W. Norman. Upon his departure in February of 1959, Dr. Smith Higgins then director of the Kokomo Center took over the duties of associate dean.
During Prof. Carmony's nine years as Associate Dean of the University Extension Division he again presided over a large increase in student enrollment, from 8,146 in the fall of 1950 to 14,996 by the time he left. Carmony also lead the Division's successful push to become nationally recognized, and by 1960 it was ranked one of the top four such programs in the country.
The Division of University Extension was renamed the Division of Regional Campuses in 1962 to more clearly associate the centers with IU. Three years later President Elvis J. Stahr announced plans to institute four-year degree programs at the South Bend and Northwest campuses, and in 1967 the first regional campus graduations were held at South Bend and Southeast. Masters degree programs were announced in 1968, and in 1969 the division was renamed once again, becoming Regional Campus Administration.
Records organized into five series: Correspondence; Administrative files; Fifteen year study; Subject files; and South Bend files; Series are arranged alphabetically.
These documents were separated from Carmony’s personal papers, Collection C4. Some correspondence dating from Carmony’s years as director of the South Bend Center are located in the South Bend files series of this collection. For more correspondence from this time period, please see Collection C4.
Correspondence is the largest series, spanning the years 1947 to 1958, and is arranged alphabetically by correspondent's last name. The correspondence dates primarily from Carmony’s tenure as Associate Dean of the Extension Division. Prominent among the correspondents are President Herman B Wells and Deans John W. Ashton, Herman T. Briscoe, Ralph L. Collins, and Hugh W. Norman. Some correspondence with Dean Briscoe dates from Carmony’s tenure at South Bend.
Administrative files is the second series and spans the years 1948 to 1959. It is arranged alphabetically and consists primarily of annual reports, meeting minutes and interdepartmental communications in the form of memoranda. The memoranda are accompanied by chronological indexes spanning the years from 1950 1954 and 1958.
The third series consists of a fifteen year study concerning enrollment and class offerings at all extension centers from the years 1939 to 1955. It is arranged alphabetically by the center’s name, except for the first folder in the series. The first folder, Memoranda re., contains memoranda discussing the method and scope of the study.
Series four, Subject files, consists of files dating from 1950 to 1959 and is arranged alphabetically by folder name. Among the subjects are administrative questionnaires, the audio visual center (including much correspondence with the center's founder and then director, L.C. Larson), and Carmony's departure from the Extension Division.
The fifth and last series is South Bend files and consists of just a few items, primarily some correspondence annual reports, dating from Carmony's six years as director of the South Bend Mishawaka Center.
The following terms have been used to index the description of this collection in IUCAT, the IU Libraries' online catalog. Materials about related topics, persons or places can be found by searching the catalog using these terms.
It is the researcher’s responsibility to seek permission from the copyright owner and any other rights holders for any reuse of these images that extends beyond fair use or other statutory exemptions. Furthermore, responsibility for the determination of the copyright status and securing permission rests with those persons wishing to reuse the materials.
If you are the copyright holder for any of the digitized materials and have questions about its inclusion on our site, please contact the Indiana University Archivist.
Reprocessed by Elizabeth Rytting and Elia Van Lith
Completed in 2004.
Restricted, located at end of Box 2