Archives Online at Indiana University

View options:

Search within this document:

 

Want to learn more?

  • Do you have a question about this collection?
  • Would you like to view the original items in this collection?
  • Are you seeking permission to publish or reproduce items in this collection?

Please contact the holding repository: University Archives, IU Bloomington

Email: archives@indiana.edu

Bookmark and Share

Indiana University Adelphian Society minutes and by-laws, 1858-1859

A Guide to the Records at the Indiana University Archives


Electronic finding aid encoded by Elia Van Lith

Summary Information

Repository
Indiana University Office of University Archives and Records Management
1320 East Tenth Street
Herman B Wells Library E460
Bloomington, IN 47405-7000
Phone: 812-855-1127
Email: archives@indiana.edu
http://www.libraries.iub.edu/archives

Creator
Adelphian Society (Indiana University)

Title
Indiana University Adelphian Society minutes and by-laws, 1858-1859

Collection No.
C260

Extent
.2 cubic feet

Language
Materials are in English.

Abstract
The Adelphian Society was established at Indiana University on November 13, 1858, under the name the Erolathian Society. The goal of the literary society was to be a society of religious inquiry at the university, and in their first minutes the organization outlines plans of delivering original orations, essays, and debates on subjects related to Biblical literature. In 1859 the group changed its name to the Adelphian Society. Collection consists of by-laws and meeting minutes.

Access Restrictions

This collection is open for research.

Advance notice is required.

Administrative History

The Erolathian Society was organized on the Bloomington campus on November 13, 1858, with the goal of being a society of religious inquiry at the University. Indiana University President William M. Daily served as Chairman of that first meeting and was named an honorary member of the society the next month. In their minutes, the society outlines plans of delivering original orations, essays, and debates on subjects related to Biblical literature.

Meetings were held in Erolathian Hall, although the location of the Hall is never discussed in the records. During the meeting of January 15, 1859, the Society’s name was changed to Adelphian and the Society motto, “friendship and truth” was chosen. After the name change, meetings are cited as occurring in Adelphian Hall, but once again no mention is made as to the Hall’s location.

No mention is made in the minutes or University records as to when the Society disbanded, and the last records the Archives holds of the organization date to 1859.

Arrangement

Minutes and by-laws arranged chronologically.

Scope and Content Note

The two folder collection consists solely of by-laws and meeting minutes of the Adelphian Society (previously the Erolathian Society). Typewritten transcripts of the by-laws and meeting minutes are included in the collection.

The By-Laws date from the society’s first meeting on November 13, 1858, and consists of two double-sided legal-sized handwritten sheets. The meeting minutes span from November 13, 1858 to May 5, 1859.

Administrative Information

Acquisition Information
Accession 1126
Usage Restrictions
Copyright interests for this collection have been transferred to the Trustees of Indiana University. For more information, contact the Indiana University Archivist.
Preferred Citation
[Item], Indiana University Adelphian Society minutes and by-laws, Collection C260, Office of University Archives and Records Management, Indiana University, Bloomington.
Processing Information
Processed by Elia Van Lith.

Completed in 2004.

Updated by Dina M. Kellams in 2011 in preparation for digitization.


Series: Minutes and by-laws, 1858-1859 

By-laws, 1858 

Transcript [image]View item(s)

Meeting minutes, 1858-1859 

Originals [image]View item(s)

Transcripts [image]View item(s)