Archives Photograph Collection

preview image
title:

Map showing the original twenty-acre purchase at Dunn's Woods

image number:

P0037065

description:

This map was drawn sometime between 1932 and 1935. It shows the original twenty acres of land purchased by Indiana University in 1885. The land was purchased so as to move the campus from its location at Seminary Square (Second Street and College Avenue).

Although the campus did not yet butt up against what is today (2014) Indiana Avenue, a right of way was granted from the end of Kirkwood Avenue across land that was still owned by Dunn family members to the campus. Thus, technically, the front of the campus was along Third Street with the first buildings, Owen and Wylie halls, being built at the back of the campus.

To view the original deed for this land ask to see the folder "Deed - Dunn's Woods (original campus)" in IU Archives accession number 7513, box 2. One can also read a complete transcription of the deed on pages 256-257 of "Indiana University: Midwestern Pioneer: Volume IV/Historical Documents Since 1816" (Indiana University, 1977) by Thomas D. Clark. NOTE: the deed is dated November 5, 1885 and reads, in part: "...to relate back and take effect from the 4th day of February 1884."

date taken:

Circa 1932-1935

accession number:

Set 1443

copyright owner:

Indiana University

building name:

Library (1907)

building name:

Student Services Building (1907)

building name:

Franklin Hall, Joseph Amos (1907)

building name:

Student Building (1906)

building name:

Library Hall (1890)

building name:

Maxwell Hall, David H. and James D. (1890)

building name:

Indiana Memorial Union (Union Building)

building name:

Gymnasium (1892)

building name:

Carpenter Shop (1892)

building name:

Owen Hall, Richard, David & Robert (1884)

building name:

Assembly Hall (1896)

building name:

Power Plant 3 (1905)

building name:

Power Plant 2 (1897)

building name:

Chemistry Building (1931)

building name:

Wylie Hall, Andrew & Theophilus (1884)

building name:

Kirkwood Hall, Daniel (1894)

building name:

Science Hall (1902)

building name:

Lindley Hall, Ernest Hiram (1902)

building name:

Mitchell Hall, James J. (1885)

building name:

Commerce Building (1923)

building name:

Social Science Building (1923)

building name:

Business Administration Building (1923)

building name:

Biology Hall (1910)

building name:

Swain Hall East, Joseph (1910)

building name:

Kirkwood Observatory (1900)

building name:

Maxwell Hall (1885)

topic:

Maps (Campus)

city:

Bloomington

state:

Indiana

other place name:

Old Crescent

other place name:

Seventh Street

other place name:

Indiana Avenue

other place name:

Third Street

series:

Buildings & Grounds

subseries:

Old Crescent