Archives Photograph Collection

preview image
title:

Second Power Plant

image number:

P0036704

description:

The building was originally built as the University's second power plant in 1897. It would later become the IU Printing Plant where the Indiana Daily Student would be housed.

The front of the building seen here faces west. Beck Chapel would one day be built behind this building. The photograph was taken from a point on the north side of Wylie Hall.

The field at left is Jordan Field where the parking lot of the Union Building is today (2012).

date taken:

Fall 1898 or Early 1900

copyright owner:

Indiana University

building name:

Printing Plant

building name:

Power Plant 2 (1897)

corporate name:

Physical Plant

corporate name:

Indiana Daily Student

corporate name:

Journalism, School of

topic:

Printing industry

topic:

Smokestacks

topic:

Power plants

city:

Bloomington

state:

Indiana

other place name:

Jordan Field

series:

Buildings & Grounds

subseries:

Power Plant 2