Archives Photograph Collection

preview image
title:

Home for new faculty at 119 North Jefferson

image number:

P0035973

description:

This prefabricated house was one of 35 that were constructed for new faculty that were hired to meet the demand of a student population that more than doubled at the end of World War II.

This image appears in the October 1946 Indiana Alumni Magazine, page 9.

The home was probably built by National Homes of Lafayette, Indiana.

The foundation of 117 North Jefferson can be seen at extreme left. The home at extreme right is 127 North Jefferson.

123 North Jefferson would be built later in between 119 seen here and 127 at extreme right.

Some information about these homes can be found in the Herman Wells presidential files Collection C213 with folder title "Housing - FHA Housing, 1947-1948".

date taken:

1946 September 24

film code:

Kodak - Safety 55

photographer studio:

Photographic Services

donor image number:

4345

accession number:

2000/003

copyright owner:

Indiana University

topic:

Houses

topic:

World War II

city:

Bloomington

state:

Indiana

other place name:

Jefferson Street (119 North)

other place name:

Jefferson Street (117 North)

other place name:

Jefferson Street (123 North)

other place name:

Jefferson Street (127 North)

series:

Buildings & Grounds

subseries:

Campus File

folder:

Construction / Misc