Archives Photograph Collection

preview image

Univee Field

image number:



Page 12 of the 1952 University School Jordannus yearbook shows that Univee Field was first used in the fall of 1951. The first University School football game played there was against Greencastle on September 14, 1951 in which the University School won 13-0. The field was dedicated that same night with 1,300 people attending both the dedication and the game. The University School Student Council had sponsored a "Name the Field" drive with "Univee Field" being "...judged most appropriate..."

The yearbook also mentions that funds for the field were raised by the PTA Athletic Committee of which W.R. Dunn was the head. Mrs. William Andrews, jr. was President of the PTA, and Dr. W.J. Stangle was head of the Special Gifts Drive.

Various articles from September 13-15, 1951 in the Bloomington Daily Herald-Telephone tell us that the goalposts were installed on September 12 and that the lights costing nearly $6000 were installed on September 13 and/or 14 (they had not yet been installed when the September 13th issue was printed). Bleachers could seat up to 1,400 people and the track was 440 yards long and 25 feet wide. Showers and locker facilities were installed in the airplane hanger, but visiting teams had to dress at the school until more lockers and another shower room were furnished.

This image shows the scoreboard and southern end of the field.

The field was last used for U. School football in the fall of 1964. In the fall of 1965 the U. School began using a field across the street at their new complex of buildings on the northeast corner of 10th and the 45/46 bypass.

date taken:

Circa 1960

corporate name:

University School









other place name:

Univee Field

other place name:

Tenth Street & the Bypass


Buildings & Grounds


University School


Univee Field