Archives Photograph Collection

preview image

University Airport

image number:



The airport was located on the northwest side of what would become the intersection at 10th & the Bypass. Tulip Tree Apartments is located here today (2012). The airport was privately constructed and operated by Elmer L. Burch. To see a period sketch of the airport see image P0035632.

The University School's, Univee Field, would be located at a portion of this site.

About 1/3 of the way in from the right side of this image can be seen a long, white building. Attached to the front of that building is another building that is barely visible here. These two buildings are still on site today (2012). Both are known as the Botany Greenhouse (IU building number 549) and were occupied in 1947 (NOTE: only the long, white building is a greenhouse).

The runway that runs from lower-left toward the upper-right in this photo is basically where the 45/46 Bypass is today (2012).

The farm buildings just above and slightly to the right of center are those of B. F. Rogers (See the March 22, 1959 revised version of the 1958 IUB Campus Map).

date taken:

1949 April 20

film code:

None (No negative can be found)

photographer studio:

Photographic Services

donor image number:


accession number:


copyright owner:

Indiana University

corporate name:

University School

corporate name:

University Airport

corporate name:

Campus Airport







other place name:

Tenth Street

other place name:

Tenth Street & the Bypass

other place name:

Campus Airport

other place name:

Univee Field

other place name:

University Airport

other place name:

Rogers Farm, B.F.

other place name:

University School football field


Buildings & Grounds


Airport (10th & the Bypass)