Archives Photograph Collection

preview image
title:

Bookstore

image number:

P0033705

description:

The IU Bookstore seen here was built in 1925 and was located about halfway between Owen Hall and Maxwell Hall. In 1928, a fifteen foot addition was added to the back of the building (compare this image with image P0033704). When the IU Bookstore moved into the Indiana Memorial Union building in 1932, this building was moved to the intersection of Seventh Street and Sluss Avenue at which time it became a carpenter shop.

Ward Gray Biddle seems to have sent copies of this hand-tinted image as a Christmas gift in 1931 (the Archives has at least two copies that were donated by people who were in school or worked here at the time the Bookstore was in operation in this building). A label that was pasted to the back of the framed image reads, in full: "In remembrance of the many happy months spent in the little bookshop in the woods on the campus of Indiana University. Sincerely"

date taken:

Circa 1931

building name:

Bookstore (1925)

building name:

Carpenter Shop (1925)

corporate name:

Bookstore

corporate name:

Carpenter Shop

corporate name:

Physical Plant

event name:

Christmas

topic:

Bookstores

topic:

Carpenter shops

topic:

Exterior

city:

Bloomington

state:

Indiana

other place name:

Old Crescent

series:

Buildings & Grounds

subseries:

Bookstore (old)