Archives Photograph Collection

preview image
title:

A room in the Town House veteran housing

image number:

P0031171

description:

A cropped version of this image appears on page 9 of the April 1946 Indiana Alumni Magazine. The caption reads, in full: "This is one corner of Town House, the former USO center, a three-story building downtown on Fourth Street leased by the University to provide sleeping, study, and recreational facilities for 100 student veterans. As a part of Men's Residence Center, it is run on the same plan as other dormitories for men. William R. McMurtrey, '46, and Donald R. Sterrett, '47 are resident counselors (not shown here)."

This building was located on the south side of Fourth Street just to the east of the alley that runs parallel to Walnut and College.

date taken:

1946 February 7

film code:

Ansco Safety Film 8

photographer studio:

Photographic Services

donor image number:

1233

accession number:

2000/003

copyright owner:

Indiana University

personal name:

Unknown Individual/s

building name:

Town House (IU Veteran Housing)

building name:

Town Hall (IU Veteran Housing)

topic:

Offices

topic:

Military life

topic:

World War II

topic:

Dormitories

city:

Bloomington

state:

Indiana

other place name:

Fourth Street (109 West)

series:

Groups

subseries:

Campus File

folder:

Student Life / General