Archives Photograph Collection

preview image
title:

Museum in Science Hall exhibiting the skeleton of the Megalonyx Jeffersonii

image number:

P0030991

description:

This image shows a portion of the Museum on the third floor of Science Hall which was located on the old campus at Seminary Square. The musuem contained what was known as The David Dale Owen Cabinet. Only about eight cases of minerals and fossils, comprising about 1000 specimens (including the Magalonyx seen here at center) were saved after the fire that destroyed this building on July 12, 1883. The bones of the Megalonyx were discovered on the banks of the Ohio River below Henderson, Kentucky. The skeleton was studied and described by Joseph Leidy in volume VII of the Smithsonian Contributions to Knowledge which was published in 1855.

This image scanned from the photograph album titled: "Indiana State University Views, Exhibiting The Buildings, Chapel, Museum, Law and Recitation Rooms, also, Course of Study and Specimen's of Students' Work in Several Departments of the Above Institution." The album itself is dated January 1, 1876. The caption reads, in full: "A Portion Of The Museum"

The album is said to have been prepared by Theophilus and Samuel "Brown" Wylie and possibly J. B. Allison of Bloomington, Indiana. It was exhibited at the 1876 Exposition in Philadelphia.

date taken:

1876 January 1

photographer studio:

Wylie, Theophilus Adam ?

photographer studio:

Wylie Samuel "Brown" ?

photographer studio:

J. B. Allison, Photographer, Bloomington, Ind. ?

donor image number:

5

accession number:

1225

accession number:

C203 box 4

copyright owner:

Indiana University

building name:

Science Hall (1874)

topic:

Geology

topic:

Skeletons

topic:

Exhibitions

topic:

Light fixtures

topic:

Gas-lighting

topic:

Megalonyx Jeffersonii

city:

Bloomington

state:

Indiana

other place name:

Museum (inside the 1874 Science Hall)

other place name:

Seminary Square

series:

Buildings & Grounds