Archives Photograph Collection

preview image
title:

R. Ulrich plan of campus with proposed locations of future buildings, walkways, etc.

image number:

P0029898

description:

The campus plan contains the following features (north is at the top):

1) Along the top is a cigar-shaped "Arboretum with Experimental Garden" and a pond labelled "Aquatic Plants". At the far west end is a walkway branching off from the garden. Just to the south of this walkway is a small lake with a "Boat House" at the north end and a "Landing" at the south end. Just to the south of this lake (just to the south of the intersection of Sixth and Indiana) is another small lake with a landing at the north end. At the far east end of the garden is the "Gentleman's Tennis Ground" followed by an "Athletic Field" (Jordan Field) with a review stand and flag pole at the north end.

2) Just to the south of the "Athletic Field" is a small lake with a "Landing" at the north end and a "Pavillion" situated on a peninsula at the south end. This lake is connected with the other two lakes mentioned above by the Jordan River which feeds all three lakes. There are at least five bridges that allow one to walk from areas south of the Jordan River and the three lakes to areas north of the Jordan River.

3) To the west of the "Pavilion", in order, are buildings that were already in place: the "Power House" with an unlabelled building to the north, "Gymnasium" (the first Assembly Hall), "Owen Hall" and to the north of that the "Old Gymnasium", then the "Library" (Maxwell Hall) with the Klopsch sundial near its southwest corner, and finally a building marked with "IV" which became the site for The Student Building.

4) The entrance to campus at Kirkwood and Indiana avenues is labelled "Main Entrance".

5) Beginning at the far west side of campus where it meets Fourth Street one can see that an "Observatory" has been placed where Kirkwood Observatory would later be constructed. To the east of this is a proposed building marked "III". To the east of that building and slightly to the south is another proposed building marked "II". Neither of these two sites were used to construct buildings.

6) Just to to the south of building "III", in the first clump of woods is an oval-shaped area that was to be a "Rockery". Just to the southeast of this was an "Underground Passage to Rocky Cave".

7) To the south of Owen Hall and the "Gymnasium" can be seen, in order, "Wylie Hall", "Kirkwood Hall", and a building labelled "I" which became the site of Lindley Hall.

8) Behind building "I" (Lindley Hall) can be seen the "Ladies Gymnasium" (Mitchell Hall). Directly next to this building is a (proposed?)

9) Due east of Kirkwood Hall is an oval-shaped area with a "Statue" at the center.

10) The campus is dotted with the numbers 4-8, and 10 indicating the placement of bridges, flower beds, rose gardens, seats, statues, and carriage stands.

According to an August 16, 1902 from Ulrich to IU President William Lowe Bryan, Ulrich hoped to meet with City of Bloomington officials in the hopes of awakening "...their interest in the improvements, which if completed, at least to a certain extent, could be used as a Public Park & be a great adornment to the University & City." (Collection C270.126 "Ulrich, Rudolph")

This image appears on page 210 of the 1902 Arbutus yearbook.

date taken:

1902

photographer studio:

Ulrich, Rudolph (as architect)

accession number:

Set 1466

copyright owner:

Indiana University

building name:

Student Building (1906)

building name:

Library Hall (1890)

building name:

Maxwell Hall, David H. and James D. (1890)

building name:

Gymnasium (1892)

building name:

Wylie Hall, Andrew & Theophilus (1884)

building name:

Assembly Hall (1896)

building name:

Owen Hall, Richard, David & Robert (1884)

building name:

Kirkwood Hall, Daniel (1894)

building name:

Science Hall (1902)

building name:

Lindley Hall, Ernest Hiram (1902)

building name:

Maxwell Hall (1885)

building name:

Mitchell Hall, James J. (1885)

building name:

Kirkwood Observatory (1900)

building name:

Swain Residence, Joseph

building name:

Phi Gamma Delta

building name:

Biology Hall (1910)

building name:

Swain Hall East, Joseph (1910)

building name:

Business Administration Building (1923)

building name:

Social Science Building (1923)

building name:

Rawles Hall, William A. (1923)

topic:

Maps

topic:

Plans

topic:

Architectural drawings

topic:

Landscape architecture drawings

city:

Bloomington

state:

Indiana

other place name:

Dunn's Woods

other place name:

Old Crescent

other place name:

Science Row

other place name:

Jordan Field

other place name:

Dunn Meadow

other place name:

Forest Place

other place name:

Seventh Street

other place name:

Indiana Avenue

other place name:

Kirkwood Avenue

other place name:

Third Street

series:

Buildings & Grounds