Archives Photograph Collection

preview image
title:

Cyclotron construction

image number:

P0028910

description:

Two compound wound dc generators, connected in parallel, provided the magnet current. A five-gallon earthen jar containing a saturated water solution of bicarbonate of soda surrounding lead and aluminum plates was used as an emergency dump for the energy stored in the cyclotron magnetic field. The lead and aluminum electrodes were rigidly connected across the magnet terminals and chemically formed at a rate such as to withstand the 150V dc power supply voltage. It was necessary to install a close-connected bus bar between the two generators to force them to share the load.

date taken:

between 1938 and 1941

photographer studio:

Martin, John Howard

donor image number:

68

accession number:

99/009

copyright owner:

Indiana University

building name:

Swain Hall West, Joseph (1940)

building name:

Swain Hall (1940)

corporate name:

Physics, Department of

topic:

Cyclotrons

city:

Bloomington

state:

Indiana

other place name:

Cyclotron (1941)

series:

Buildings & Grounds

subseries:

Swain Hall West, Joseph

folder:

Cyclotron Construction