Archives Photograph Collection

preview image
title:

Printing Plant

image number:

P0027087

description:

The building was originally built as the University's second power plant in 1897. That portion of the building to the right of the bicycle leaning up against the building is the original building. At least some of the materials used to construct this portion of the building were saved from the first power plant that was located behind Wylie Hall and razed in 1897. The angled roof seen above and behind "The Indiana Daily Student" and "IU Printing Plant" signs was also part of the original construction.

The brick portion of the building to the left of the bicycle was added in 1914. That addition, along with the renovation of the original building were specifically undertaken for the Journalism Department and The Indiana Daily Student (with the exception of one room which was used by the Chemistry Department). Movement to this building in the summer or early fall of 1914 allowed The Indiana Daily Student to move from offices they were using in downtown Bloomington.

This image shows the west side of the building. The image was taken from a point between the Union Building and Owen Hall.

date taken:

1940 December 3

film code:

Eastman - Safety - Kodak 127

photographer studio:

Photographic Services

photographer studio:

Henderson, Edward M.

donor image number:

2524

accession number:

2000/003

copyright owner:

Indiana University

building name:

Printing Plant

building name:

Power Plant 2 (1897)

corporate name:

Indiana Daily Student

corporate name:

Chemistry Department

corporate name:

Physical Plant

corporate name:

Journalism, School of

topic:

Printing industry

topic:

Power plants

topic:

Newspaper industry

city:

Bloomington

state:

Indiana

series:

Buildings & Grounds

subseries:

Campus File

folder:

University Buildings - P