Archives Photograph Collection

preview image
title:

Aerial view

image number:

P0023396

description:

This view was probably shot from the top of the smokestack at the old Power Plant that used to be located where the hotel portion of the Indiana Memorial Union is today (2015). The photo was shot well before 1932, probably about 1927 (see image P0023397).

The view shows that part of campus east of where the IMU is located. The tennis courts seen just left of center is where the IU Auditorium was built. Jordan Avenue is in the distance. The building at far right, nearest you, is the Delta Gamma house. The two houses across the street from Delta Gamma are, from left to right, the Sigma Alpha Epsilon and the Delta Chi houses. The two houses at the far end of the tennis courts are, from left to right, the Chi Omega and Phi Mu houses. Directly across the street from the Phi Mu house is the Sigma Kappa house which today is the Office of Admissions.

See also P0023207 and P0023397 as they were shot by the same person on probably the same day from the same vantage point.

date taken:

circa 1927 ?

building name:

Auditorium (1941)

topic:

Aerial views

topic:

Bloomington (Downtown & General Street Scenes)

city:

Bloomington

state:

Indiana

other place name:

Jordan Avenue

series:

Buildings & Grounds

subseries:

Aerial Views

folder:

1920's