Archives Photograph Collection

preview image
title:

Bloomington

image number:

P0023322

description:

The view is northwest from the roof of the Wylie House at 307 East Second Street (northeast corner of Second and Lincoln)

The group of long buildings at center, and just right of center, are those of the Waldron, Hill & Company Hub & Spoke Factory.

Just above and to the right of center is the tower of the Monroe County Courthouse.

The steeple at extreme left is the College Avenue M.E. Church.

The steeple seen about halfway between the M.E. Church and the Courthouse is probably the Christian Church located at the northwest corner of Fourth Street and Washington Street.

The back of the photograph notes that the tower just left and below center, with crisscrossed supports, was once a "...derrick where some optimists once drilled - vainly - for oil."

date taken:

1885

photographer studio:

Wylie, Theophilus Adam

copyright owner:

Wylie, Theophilus Adam

building name:

Monroe County Courthouse (1856)

building name:

Christian Church

building name:

Waldron, Hill & Company Hub & Spoke Factory

building name:

M. E. Church, College Avenue

corporate name:

Waldron, Hill & Company Hub & Spoke Factory

corporate name:

M. E. Church, College Avenue

corporate name:

Christian Church

topic:

Aerial views

topic:

Churches

topic:

Courthouses

topic:

Factories

topic:

Bloomington (Downtown & General Street Scenes)

city:

Bloomington

state:

Indiana

other place name:

College Avenue

other place name:

Third Street

other place name:

Fourth Street

other place name:

Washington Street

series:

Buildings & Grounds

subseries:

Bloomington

folder:

Wylie, T.A. Images