Archives Photograph Collection

preview image
title:

Men's Gymnasium

image number:

P0022843

description:

This image shows the first gymnasium that was built in 1892. After the first Assembly Hall was built in 1896 this building was used as a carpenter shop. This building was located four feet west and seventy-one feet north of Owen Hall.

This building should not be confused with the IU Bookstore building constructed in 1925 that sat near this same location.

A map of campus on page 7 of the October 7, 1922 edition of The Indiana Alumnus lists this building as "Surveying and Workshop".

date taken:

1918 June 27

photographer studio:

Stephenson, Henry Thew

donor image number:

75

accession number:

0091

building name:

Men's Gymnasium (1892)

building name:

Carpenter Shop (1892)

topic:

Carpenter shops

topic:

Gymnasiums

topic:

Exterior

topic:

Firsts

topic:

Sports & recreation facilities

topic:

Workshops

city:

Bloomington

state:

Indiana

series:

Buildings & Grounds