Archives Photograph Collection

preview image
title:

Seminary Square Campus about 1850 from a Photogravure Produced about 1890

image number:

P0022535

description:

(L to R) Seminary Building, First College Building, Laboratory.

The viewer is looking toward the northwest from near the southeast corner of the Seminary Square campus. The slope seen here is the same slope one drives down once one crosses over Second Street while heading south on College Avenue (in between Seminary Park and Kroger's).

Note that these are three of the first five buildings on the old Seminary Square campus. The Professor's House (not seen here) was probably completed in 1824 before the Seminary Building. The Boarding House (also not seen here) was added on to the Professor's House in 1838.

The first known printing of this image appears on a tipped in page between pages 20 and 21 of Theophilus Wylie's "Indiana University, Its History from 1820, When Founded, to 1890..." (1890).

date taken:

Circa 1850

photographer studio:

Burford, William B (as artist)

building name:

Seminary Building (1824 or 1825)

building name:

First College Building (1836)

building name:

Laboratory (1840)

topic:

Drawings

topic:

Bell towers

topic:

Exterior

topic:

Bloomington (Downtown & General Street Scenes)

city:

Bloomington

state:

Indiana

other place name:

Seminary Square

series:

Buildings & Grounds

subseries:

Seminary Square

folder:

Three of the First Five Buildings (and Marker)