Archives Photograph Collection

preview image
title:

First University Building

image number:

P0022526

description:

This RPPC was published by the Majestic Publishing Company of Indianapolis. This company appears to have been in business from 1905-1950, however, they obviously used an older image for this use as the sundial can still be seen in the image. The sundial was moved to the new campus no later than May 25, 1896 as is evident by the following note found on page 310 of the May 26, 1896 "The Student" (later called The Indiana Daily Student), in full: "The old sun dial has been moved from the Old College to the west end of Library Hall. It is said that this act was instigated by the department of physics in order that the bells might be better regulated."

The building and Seminary Campus were sold to the City of Bloomington for public school purposes in 1897.

NOTE: This same image appears in the "Souvenir Program: Fourth Annual Entertainment: Bloomington, Ind. Lodge No. 446, B.P.O. Elks, Opera House, March 12, 1903." (Found in IU Archives collection C219). However, close examination and comparison of the image in this publication with this postcard proves that the trees in the original image had no leaves on them; the leaves on the trees at right, center, and just to right of the building in this postcard were added through touch-up processes.

date taken:

not after 1896 May 25

copyright owner:

Indiana University

building name:

First University Building (1855)

building name:

Old College Building (1855)

building name:

Bloomington High School (1855)

building name:

Second College Building (1855)

topic:

Schools

topic:

Postcards

topic:

Exterior

topic:

Real Picture Postcard (RPPC)

city:

Bloomington

state:

Indiana

other place name:

Seminary Square

series:

Buildings & Grounds

subseries:

Seminary Square

folder:

First University Building