Archives Photograph Collection

preview image
title:

Zoology class at Von Lee movie theatre

image number:

P0022400

description:

A caption for this image, found in the December 1961 Alumni Magazine, reads: "Students will be attending classes for about six weeks at the Von Lee theatre...Construction work now underway for a wing on the Chemistry building made it necessary to move classes in chemistry, zoology, and American history out of the lecture room in the building. There were no other large lecture rooms available...so, Arthur B. Clark, manager of the theatre, volunteered the use of the theatre in morning hours..." The building was first opened as The Ritz theatre in 1928, a few later it became Peterson's Market (grocery store). In 1948, the Vonderschmidts reopened the building as a theatre.

date taken:

1961 October 27

film code:

Kodak Safety Film - Tri X Pan Film

photographer studio:

News Bureau, IU

photographer studio:

Cowherd, Elwood Martin "Barney"

donor image number:

Frame 18

accession number:

99/075

copyright owner:

Indiana University

personal name:

Unknown Individual/s

building name:

Von Lee Theatre (1928)

building name:

Ritz Theatre (1928)

building name:

Peterson's Market

corporate name:

Chemistry Department

corporate name:

Zoology, Department of

corporate name:

History, Department of

corporate name:

Von Lee Theatre

corporate name:

Vonderschmidt Theatres

corporate name:

Ritz Theatre

corporate name:

Kerasotes Theatres

corporate name:

Peterson's Market

topic:

Zoology

topic:

History

topic:

Chemistry

topic:

Theaters

topic:

Women

topic:

Students

city:

Bloomington

state:

Indiana

other place name:

Kirkwood Avenue (517 East)

series:

Buildings & Grounds

subseries:

Von Lee Class Room