Archives Photograph Collection

preview image
title:

The Monroe County Courthouse

image number:

P0022365

description:

This image was scanned from an old envelope in the collections of the IU Archives. Another printed portion of the envelope reads, in full: "If not called for in 10 days return to | James W. Jackson | Recorder. | Monroe County | Bloomington, | Indiana."

The blemish just below and to the left of center is a stain on the envelope itself and not a result of the scanning process.

A short article about this building which appeared on page 1 of the January 29, 1907 edition of The Daily Student reads, in full: "The first Monroe County Courthouse, a log structure, was erected in 1818 at a cost of $400. In 1821 a new court house [seen in this image] was erected by Contractor John Ketcham at a cost of $7,965. David Armstrong built the cupola in 1821. The building was first occupied in 1826. It was remodeled in 1856-'58 at a cost of $7,000, two brick wings being added by Contractor John F. Rogers. The order for the present new Court House [built in 1910 and still standing today (2018)] was made in March, 1906, the old building being sold in June, 1906, for $100 and torn down by Contractor Pike."

building name:

Monroe County Courthouse (1856)

topic:

Drawings

topic:

Art

topic:

Bloomington (Downtown & General Street Scenes)

topic:

Horses

topic:

Carriages & coaches

topic:

Courthouses

city:

Bloomington

state:

Indiana

series:

Buildings & Grounds

subseries:

Bloomington

folder:

Courthouse of 1856