Archives Photograph Collection

preview image
title:

Bloomington

image number:

P0022330

description:

The view is nearly due west (looking slightly to the south) from the roof of the Wylie House at 307 East Second Street (northeast corner of Second and Lincoln). Second Street is at lower left heading off toward upper-center of image.

The building with tower at left is Indiana University's "First University Building" on the old Seminary Square campus.

The large, white-colored house, just to the left of the right-hand side of the photograph, is supposed to be the home of Joseph M. Howe and later James D. Maxwell. As this house faced College Avenue (421 South), this image shows the rear of the house.

The dark-colored field in the immediate foreground is an abandoned quarry.

date taken:

1885

photographer studio:

Wylie, Theophilus Adam

copyright owner:

Wylie, Theophilus Adam

building name:

Old College Building (1855)

building name:

First University Building (1855)

building name:

Bloomington High School (1855)

building name:

Second College Building (1855)

topic:

Bloomington (Downtown & General Street Scenes)

topic:

Quarries

city:

Bloomington

state:

Indiana

other place name:

Seminary Square

other place name:

Second Street

other place name:

College Avenue (421 South)

series:

Buildings & Grounds

subseries:

Bloomington

folder:

Wylie, T.A. Images