Archives Photograph Collection

preview image
title:

Baptist Church

image number:

P0022318

description:

African-American Baptist Church. See also image P0022402 for possible location (which looks to be in the area of Madison and Eighth Street).

Apparently, this church was built in 1860 at the corner of North College and Ninth. At that time it was occupied by the Reformed Presbyterians (Theophilus Wylie was the pastor). At that time this church was also known as the "New Side Covenanter". Later, it apparently became the home of the Baptist Church (for African-Americans).

date taken:

1891

photographer studio:

Stratford & Jones

accession number:

7200

copyright owner:

Stratford & Jones

building name:

Baptist Church

building name:

New Side Covenanter

building name:

Reformed Presbyterian Church

topic:

Churches

topic:

Minorities

topic:

Exterior

city:

Bloomington

state:

Indiana

other place name:

College Avenue

other place name:

Ninth Street

series:

Buildings & Grounds

subseries:

Bloomington

folder:

Stratford & Jones Booklet