Archives Photograph Collection

preview image
title:

African Methodist Episcopal Church (African-American church)

image number:

P0022317

description:

This image scanned from "Bloomington, Indiana" by Stratford & Jones (1891). The church was located on the north side of Sixth Street between College and Morton. The church appears on: 1) the 1907 Sanborn Fire Insurance map number 10 which notes the address as "214 W. 6th Street", 2) the 1892 Sanborn Fire Insurance map number 3 which notes it as the ‘Colored M. E. Church’, 3) the 1887 Sanborn Fire Insurance map number 3 which also notes it as the ‘Colored M. E. Church’, and 4) the 1883 Sanborn Fire Insurance map number 2. Page 1 of the September 17, 1895 edition of The Courier (Bloomington, Indiana) notes the dedication of the church on Sunday, September 15, 1895. The article notes the building has a seating capacity of 350, that the cost of the building "including the furnace" was $2,000. It also mentions that "William H. Adams gave the lot on which the building is located. Architect H. J. Nichols prepared the plans...The contract for the building was let to Neeld and Ransom." To the right (east) of this building (not seen here) was the old Bowles Hotel which became the Graham Hotel and is today (2020) Graham Plaza located on the northwest corner of College and Sixth.

date taken:

1891

photographer studio:

Stratford & Jones

accession number:

7200

copyright owner:

Stratford & Jones

building name:

African Methodist Episcopal Church

corporate name:

African Methodist Episcopal Church

topic:

Churches

topic:

Minorities

topic:

Exterior

city:

Bloomington

state:

Indiana

series:

Buildings & Grounds

subseries:

Bloomington

folder:

Stratford & Jones Booklet

 

Last updated: Friday, September 27, 2019 12:07:08
URL: http://purl.dlib.indiana.edu/iudl/archives/photos/P0022317
This collection presented by:
The IU Digital Library Program and Indiana University Office of University Archives and Records Management
Comments: diglib@indiana.edu