Archives Photograph Collection

preview image
title:

The Second Monroe County Courthouse

image number:

P0022299

description:

A short article about this building which appeared on page 1 of the January 29, 1907 edition of The Daily Student reads, in full: "The first Monroe County Courthouse, a log structure, was erected in 1818 at a cost of $400. In 1821 a new court house [seen in this image] was erected by Contractor John Ketcham at a cost of $7,965. David Armstrong built the cupola in 1821. The building was first occupied in 1826. It was remodeled in 1856-'58 at a cost of $7,000, two brick wings being added by Contractor John F. Rogers. The order for the present new Court House [still standing today, 2016] was made in March, 1906, the old building being sold in June, 1906, for $100 and torn down by Contractor Pike."

date taken:

1891

photographer studio:

Stratford & Jones

accession number:

7200

copyright owner:

Stratford & Jones

building name:

Monroe County Courthouse (1856)

topic:

Courthouses

topic:

Clock towers

topic:

Exterior

topic:

Bloomington (Downtown & General Street Scenes)

city:

Bloomington

state:

Indiana

series:

Buildings & Grounds

subseries:

Bloomington

folder:

Stratford & Jones Booklet