Archives Photograph Collection

preview image
title:

"Residence of Dr. J. D. Maxwell" and later home of the American Legion post 18

image number:

P0021055

description:

The home was built in 1943 by Joshua Owen Howe and eventually became the residence of Dr. J. D. Maxwell. In 1919, the house became the home of the American Legion. The American Legion did not raze the building. The building seen here was actually added on to at least twice in later years to a point where one might believe an entirely different building now (2018) occupies the site. When comparing this image to the building at this location today, take note of the three windows at upper left, the two windows and front door.

date taken:

1891

accession number:

7200

building name:

American Legion

building name:

Burton Woollery Post 18

corporate name:

American Legion

topic:

Houses

city:

Bloomington

state:

Indiana

other place name:

College Avenue (421 South)

series:

Buildings & Grounds

subseries:

Bloomington

folder:

Stratford and Jones Booklet