Archives Photograph Collection

preview image
title:

Rose Well House

image number:

P0020079

description:

The view is from the east looking west. Kirkwood Observatory is at left and Franklin Hall is at right. One plaque inside the well house reads, in full: "Dedicated | to the | Class of 1875 | and presented to | Indiana University | by | Theodore F. Rose | - | This Memorial Preserves the | Portals Tablet And Seal | From The Main Building Erected | In 1854 On The Old Campus | 1908 |" Another plaque reads, in full: "[image of coat of arms of Beta Theta Pi] | Beta Theta Pi | Founded On The Campus In 1845 | Whose Son Presented This Memorial | To The Universtiy He Served As | Trustee. | Whose Badge Shares This Eight-Sided | Shape Of These Venerated Walls. | Whose Continuous Presence On The | Campus Dates Back To The Age Of | These Portals. | Salutes Indiana University Upon Its | Sesquicentennial 1970."

date taken:

1907 August or September

accession number:

6043

building name:

Well House, Theodore F. Rose (1908)

topic:

Exterior

topic:

Well houses

city:

Bloomington

state:

Indiana

other place name:

Old Crescent

series:

Buildings & Grounds