Archives Photograph Collection

preview image
title:

Gentry and Bradfute Buildings

image number:

P0020006

description:

Gentry Building at the southwest corner of College Avenue and Fifth Street. The Columns seen on the Bradfute Building at left were salvaged and are utilized at the Billy Hayes Track and Field Complex on the Indiana University campus. The Collins-Seidle Co. was a grocery store. Page 14 of the publication: "Visionaries: A Tribute to Dagmar K. Riley" (1990 ?) published by the IU Foundation reads, in part: "At one time, Dagmar K. Riley walked through these pillars that formed the majestic entrance to the Herald-Telephone building in downtown Bloomington. After the H-T moved to the south side of town, Dagmar donated the four columns to Indiana University."

date taken:

1907 August or September

accession number:

6043

personal name:

Riley, John Stewart, Mrs.

personal name:

Karlsson, Dagmar

building name:

Gentry Building

building name:

Bradfute Building

corporate name:

Bowles Drug Store, W. T.

corporate name:

Collins-Seidle Co.

corporate name:

Sanitary Barber Shop

corporate name:

Herald-Telephone, The

corporate name:

Daily Herald-Telephone, The

topic:

Drugstores

topic:

Carriages & coaches

topic:

Bicycles & tricycles

topic:

Street lights

topic:

Barbershops

topic:

Exterior

topic:

Bloomington (Downtown & General Street Scenes)

city:

Bloomington

state:

Indiana

other place name:

College Avenue

other place name:

Fifth Street

other place name:

Kirkwood Avenue

series:

Buildings & Grounds

subseries:

Gentry and Bradfute Buildings